#3 Gallery

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

#3 Gallery

Post by Hunt4em »

I bought a #3 at the Tulsa gun show this past Sat. for $675. I thought the bore looked like it might shoot as I could see some rifling. I gave it a good scrubbing and it looked better than I'd hoped. I took it to the range Sunday after church and shot on the 50 yrd range because the 25 was full. It was shooting low and to the left but it was holding 1" groups with the Rem. target rnds. :shock: :D Now thats way better than I expected. It has the gallery tang site, Lyman Beeches style globe and the original rear barrel site that someone filed a deep "V" off to the left. I'll try to post some pics soon. Now if only this rain would let up so I can shoot it some more! I'm going to try and weld the original barrel site back to the fine notch in the center, but if this doesn't work, do any of you have an original rear site for a #3 gallery?
Thanks, John
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: #3 Gallery

Post by marlinman93 »

Sounds like you got a super deal on a #3 Ballard! Careful with those sights, as they're very hard, and you need to re-temper it after welding, or it wont have the spring tension needed. (that is if it's the long barrel sight, with elevator)
Is it a JM Marlin, or a Marlin Firearms Co., Ballard? The early heavy barrel, or the later lightweight barrel? -Vall
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

Val,
As you may be able to see by the pics it is the Marlin firearms address and the serial #s match from the barrel all the way to the butt plate. I almost passed on this one because the dealer couldn't tell me if they matched or not and the fact the barrel sticks up above the top of the receiver. Is this common in the later ballards? It's in the 34,000 range and weighs over 8 lbs.. I am just over excited at how well it shoots. The rear barrel site you see in the pics is not the one that came with the gun. I put this later Marlin site on to see if I could site it in and actually hit where I was aiming rather than just grouping low & left. I welded the original "standard #3" site yesterday and it looks as though I will have it reblued before I get another chance to shoot. If it aint raining,I'm working!
You stated that the rear leaf sites are tempered and as luck would have it I have a bent one on the # 5 Pacific I bought off Mike White(ASSRA). I have a pile of parts basically. The only good thing I can say is all the #'s match! The bore slugs ok but some ding dong tried to drill out a broken case or something, as the chamber is toast. I wish I would have saved my money because I seen a nice one in 38-55 at the show. I looked it over and walked down a few isles then returned to find it gone. I know better than to do that there as I have lost out more times than I can remember. Any way I will be picking your brain for advise as I descide what to do with this one.
Thanks, John
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Hi John,
Yes, the barrel should be just above the groove on the later Marlin Ballards. Earlier ones had heavier barrels, and flat top receivers. When they went to the lighter barrels they cut the groove in the receiver tops. I've always wondered why they didn't just tur the "tulip" down where it met the receiver, so it would match.
Considering what the tang sight and combo front sight go for these days, that's a fantastic price! You did great! -Vall
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

Thanks Val,
I'm very happy with this gun! When I removed the tang site it still shows the case colors, so it's been on there a long time and the sides of the breach block still shows good colors. I'm going out today and play with it some more.
Any thoughts on what to do with the #5 having a bad chamber? I turkey hunt up close to Lamar, Mo. where Lee Shaver has his shop, so I think I'll take it and see what he thinks can be done to save the barrel. I know he makes some good sites but I haven't seen any of his other work. I'll keep you posted as to what he has to say.
Thanks Again, John
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I've heard good things about Lee's work, although I have no personal experience with him. I've used John Taylor Machine, and highly recommend his reline work. I think a reline is probably your best choice for the #5, and if done right it won't show.-Vall
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

Val,
John Taylor would be my first choice but this gun has already been damaged twice during shipping. And for what ever reason the local UPS and FEDEX depots refuse to ship for a non FFL holder. I borrowed my dealers rule book and took it to the UPS store in Joplin. I showed them it was perfectly legal for me to ship a gun to a dealer. I was told that was not their pollicy and was asked to leave. I hate the BIG BROWN #@*#. My dealer also has had trouble shipping through them and told me he would have to charge $80 just to cover his time dealing with the woman at UPS. Sorry I'm ranting but I hate UPS!
If I can ship it through the US Post Office I may use Taylor's Machine. I've never heard a bad word about any of his work and I have to send it to Dave Crossno anyway to get it stocked. I think I would feel more comfortable shipping my wife across country.
Thanks, John
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Just a question here guys, can you ship as a non-firearm if it is pre 1899? Just box and ship through the post office? You could call and confirm legality over the phone.
GBOT, GBUSA
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

I'm not sure on the (non-firearms) thing, but with it being an antique and I think John Taylor has a FFL, I think I should be able to use the USPS. I'll call tommorrow and find out for sure. Thanks for the thought Sure-Shot!

John
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I ship antique firearms all the time through USPS. Just drop it in a box and send it off. Only time I had trouble was when a postal worker at my local station asked, "what's in this heavy box anyway?" Once I said it was an antique firearm they went nuts! I finally left, went home and called the main post office, got a guy to tell me the rules, and where I could download them on a web site, then returned and showed them it was all OK.
Now I bring the rules with me just in case, but I don't tell them, so they don't freak out. You can even ship FFL long arms to non FFL holders through the USPS, if you have an FFL, or to a FFL holder if you have their copy of the FFL. The guy at USPS said they aren't supposed to ask you anything more than the typical three questions, "is it hazardous, liquid, or perishable?" He actually told me if they asked anything else, to tell them it was none of their business!
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

Val,
Would you happen to remember where you down loaded those rules?
Thanks, John
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

You bet John! DMM 601 Mailability 11.2 and 11.3 cover antique nd modern shotguns and rifles. "Antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces can be shipped without regard to 11.1.3 to 11.1.6" The other half (11.3) simply states that rifles and shotguns must be unloaded and the shipper may be required to open the box to show that they are unloaded. It's plain and simple, but sometimes you still have to show them!-Vall
http://pe.usps.gov/text/DMM300/601.htm#wp1065442
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

Val,
I sure do appreciate all your help! I've been busy either working or hunting here lately and as soon as turkey season is over I'll send that #5 out to John Taylor.

Thanks, John
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

You're welcome John! Be sure to contact John Taylor via email before sending him the gun! He's getting ready to move in the very near future, so he wont be taking in ay work for about two weeks while he moves all his equipment.
jdad
Beginner

Post by jdad »

I just got my project back from John, on Friday. I spoke with him earlier in the week and he said that he's got about a 6 week backlog right now.