336A Rear Sight

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
Hopley Yeaton

336A Rear Sight

Post by Hopley Yeaton »

What is the correct rear sight for a 24" barrel 336A (1948)? The rear sight slot is about 1 1/2" further down the barrel from the receiver than the newer 336's. A couple weeks ago a gunsmith put in a sight that looks like a Marbles Model 63. It has a shorter shank than the newer factory rear sights. And, because it is further down the taper of the barrel it sits lower. When I try to use it, in order to align the sights my cheek bone touches the stock - not good. A technician at Marlin told me to use the new models' rear sight. I am not convinced it would be any better since he wasn't familiar with the rear sight placement on the older models. I also talked to a technician at Brownells and he told me to use a longer shank, higher Marbles rear sight (Model 66H). Then, he also told me that I would need a new, higher, front sight. This all sounds too complicated. Anyone have any ideas? I would like as long a sight radius as possible. Thanks.
Leverdude
Marksman

Post by Leverdude »

Not sure which sight is proper but your cheek SHOULD be against the stock when aiming. No barrel mounted sight will lift your face clear of the gun.
I think the earlier 336's had fairly crude sights. Mine did anyway but I havent got a 336A.

If you really want to maximize sight radius you ought to consider a reciever sight by Williams or Lyman.
Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/?

Freedoms not free!
Support your NRA!
Hopley Yeaton

336A Rear Sight

Post by Hopley Yeaton »

Ken, I concur, the cheek should rest on the stock, but not the bone under the eye socket. That seems a bit too low. I have been considering a Williams FP sight, but wanted to start out trying to get the rifle back to factory issue if possible. Have you any experience with receiver sights? Good or not so good?

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:13 am.