Restoring a Ballard Pacific #5

Anything to do with gun smithing.
Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Post by Jim D »

Thanks for the loading data Vall. I loaded up some 335 gr with 1 1/2 Swiss tonight just to see what pressure indications I got. Crammed full with no card and about 1/4" compaction. They worked just as they should. I also shot some on paper. About 1 1/2" group for 3 shots, 2 1/2" for 5. So the heavier bullets are the answer. I don't have the foggiest idea why I was getting such high pressure indications with Lyman's load data for thier 335 gr bullet. The BP loads that I shot tonight should have been at least 15,000 CUP. The Lyman data has to be wrong.

Maybe there's a member out there that has smokeless experience with the Lyman 378674 335 gr bullet???

-jim
Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Post by Jim D »

Just a follow up on the loadings for the Lyman 335 Gr bullet. I loaded 15 of them with 17 Grs of SR 4759. I started at 15 Grs and worked up to 17. There were no high pressure indications at all, and they still grouped between 1 1/2" to 2" at 100 yds. Point of impact was 8" higher than the black powder loads at 100 yds.

-jim
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Jim D;

Better quit fooling around shooting this thing for now, and get it to the engraver so you can finish it up and bring it to the Kansas City Show at the end of the month. I am sure there will be quite a few interested in seeing this Ballard after it is completed.
You will be able to shoot it anytime after it is finished, as Larry, the ole cable guy says "git er done!!!"
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Better just take it to the Kansas show as is! Since Dale can't engrave it until November. I bet it will draw a lot of looks and interest at the show!
Those are some fine groups it's shooting! I'd be taking it for mule deer this fall if I had one that shot that good!-Vall
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Post by Jim D »

Rick, Vall is right. I have to wait for Dale, and his first opening is in November. So I'm gonna be shootin her for a few months. Any gun I own is meant to shoot.... I will bring it to KC later this month along with one or two others.

-jim
Four-Eyed Buck
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Four-Eyed Buck »

Drool, drool, drool, SLURP :D :D :D 8)
If Marlin made SA revolvers, I'd be shooting those, too!!!
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

Jim,
I sure would like to see that rifle in person. I know you will get a lot of complements. But I am forced to give mine here, as some fool let his soon to be plan their wedding on the 28th at 3 in the afternoon!
Can anyone tell me if the show would be good on Sunday? I might skip Church and head up early on the 29th if there is still a strong showing.
Thanks, John
Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Post by Jim D »

John,

Is this YOUR soon to be? If it is, and this is YOUR wedding, it's obvious that the bride to be intended you to go to the show. Why else have it at 3 PM? She knows that the good deals are gone by noon so that gives you plenty of time to run home and put on the tux. That's one thoughtful gal I'd say! See you at the show!

-jim
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Sounds like the perfect honeymoon location to me! I'm sure she'll appreciate a good gun show as a honeymoon location!
Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Post by Jim D »

Where else can you go on a honeymoon for $5 a person? Throw in a couple more bucks and you can get a raffle ticket for that dream gun!
We can all line up at the door and throw tumbling media at the newly weds as they leave for the night!
Four-Eyed Buck
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Four-Eyed Buck »

Sounds like a plan................ 8) :lol: :wink:
If Marlin made SA revolvers, I'd be shooting those, too!!!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Wish I had the time to get back there! The KC show is a great one!
I like the tumbling media idea too! :D
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

Thanks, for all the ideas guys, they made for a good laugh! :lol: But it ain't this fool this time, just a close friend. I guess I know where I can find a lot of supportive jokers to celebrate such an occasion. I think I will make the trip on Sunday if the rain lets up enough to keep the highways open.
Maybe I'll get to meet a few of you in person, if you don't have something better to do than hang around a gun show!

Thanks, John

P.S. What's this Pro Marksman thing? You obviously haven't seen me shoot!! :oops:
Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Post by Jim D »

John,

Hope to see you there! Ok guys, guess we can't throw the tumbling media at John.....

-jim
Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Post by Jim D »

I decided to recase the frame on the Ballard. I wasn't real happy with the first go around and I didn't want to experiment after it was engraved. So
this time I used the large box crucible as shown in the CCH'g post, instead of the single gun pipe crucible.

More info on the Color Case Hardening post under lever guns.

-jim