marlin 336 w

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

zacht
Beginner

marlin 336 w

Post by zacht »

this is probbly going to sound stupid but are 336w solid walnut peices like the forearm and the butt ? ... i ask this because some one told me some guns are like a nice wood lamonated on a peice of hard wood
thanks
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Marlin does not laminate nice wood over cheap wood. Whatever the outside is, the rest is the same.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
zacht
Beginner

Post by zacht »

ok so if i ever need to i can refinish it? and thanks for the reply
Pete44ru
Marksman

Post by Pete44ru »

Some guns that Marlin made for large outfits, like the "Glenfield" or the WallyWorld "W" models, were made with hardwood stocks other than walnut - usually birch or "sick-a-more", and may need to be stained darker and also "grained" after removing the old finish & before applying the refinishing coats.
zacht
Beginner

Post by zacht »

i have a 336 w from walmart.... sooo... if i never needed to refinish it its not going to look good or what kill it look like and how hard would it be to do?
Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Post by Jim D »

Zacht,
Brownells sells a powdered, water based stain kit that comes with several different colors. You can mix the powdered stains together and achieve virtually any color that you like. Just mix the colors together and add some
hot water. The color when it's wet is close to the color that you'll have after applying the finish coat. Test the colors on some bare wood scrap before putting it on the stock.

-jim
zacht
Beginner

Post by zacht »

i looked on the box it says birch stock..does that mean walnut lamonated over birch or is it all berch well it actuly says cut checkerd birch if it makes any difference

tanks for all the replys im just trying to learn about my gun
Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Post by Jim D »

Zacht,

The stock will be solid birch. The "cut checkering" refers to the checkering pattern on the stock. What specifically is wrong with the finish on your stock?

-jim
zacht
Beginner

Post by zacht »

nothing i was just wondering because whare i hunt there is alot of brush and it will shurely get scratches in the finish and i will probbly eventuly half to refinish it