Model 781 Cartridge Leaf Spring Replacement...

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

canyonbreeze
Beginner

Model 781 Cartridge Leaf Spring Replacement...

Post by canyonbreeze »

I have a Marlin 781 bolt action .22 rifle. It has been sitting in storage for many years. It has a problem that the bolt won't close. Close inspection shows that the little flat cartridge leaf spring is bent down too far and blocking the bolt rather than engaging in the groove when closing. I've had no luck trying to bend it back up. I bought a new spring online for $2.95.

My problem now though is I can't get the old one out. It appears the receiver has to be separated from the barrel to take it out. And the parts are held together with a pressed in pin that I can't budge with a punch and hammer. I think it would need a hydraulic press to do. The nearest gunsmith to me is 2 hours away so I'm not in a hurry to go there right now. Any suggestions or help? Maybe I'm not seeing the correct solution to this?
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

For gunsmithing issues, I usually get the arm in question from the safe and post my answer from what I see. I don't have one of these, though. A place where folks discuss this topic is at http://www.marlinowners.com on the rimfire forum.

Some very savvy folks there who will readily share their experience. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!