Marlin marked paper patched bullets. can I ask you something?

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

GeorgeIntip
Beginner

Marlin marked paper patched bullets. can I ask you something?

Post by GeorgeIntip »

Can anyone provide information on the history and effectiveness of Marlin marked paper patched bullets, and if they are still used by shooters today?

Text Inmate
https://www.contactmeasap.com/
https://www.contactmeasap.com/
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin marked paper patched bullets. can I ask you something?

Post by marlinman93 »

If you're lucky enough to find a box of Marlin paper patched bullets you'd be crazy to use them! They are like any old boxes of bullets of the era, highly collectible, and you might as well roll down your window on the freeway and throw money out!
I collect old Marlin and UMC ammo and components, and a full box or even an empty box of JM Marlin marked paper patch bullets will get some serious cash. They will all be pre 1900, and those marked for JM Marlin were made by UMC, with the Marlin name on them. Size and bullet weight, plus paper patching dictate what they're worth.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

Here is a couple of boxes of .40 caliber paper patched bullets I recently found.
[imgImage][/img]

[imgImage][/img]
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Road King wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:10 pm Here is a couple of boxes of .40 caliber paper patched bullets I recently found.
[imgImage][/img]

[imgImage][/img]
Nice! Those would likely be for the .40-85 Everlasting or .40-63 Everlasting Ballard cases.
I have some .44 caliber 530 grain for the .44-100 #7 Ballard marked "Match bullets". Also a box of .38 caliber 255 gr. for the .38-55, and a box of .32 caliber 170 grain. And a box of .30 caliber 150 grain metal patched for .30-30, which means jacketed back then.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!