1889 question.

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Gunutz
Beginner

1889 question.

Post by Gunutz »

I picked up a very nice 1889 in 32W today and I was a little surprised to find that it had a 22" barrel. I looked it over throughly and I cannot see any evidence of the barrel being shortened. It wears serial #32163
Can anyone tell me if this is a normal anomaly or has this thing been Frankensteined?
Thanks.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1889 question.

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Gunutz;

Unfortunately, your Marlin Model 1889 has been shortened. The factory records show that your rifle left the factory with a 28 inch octagon barrel in .32-20 caliber in late 1890.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Gunutz
Beginner

Post by Gunutz »

Thanks for the information. That is truly a shame. When I seen how nice the bore and the finish was and couldn't find any indication that the barrel was shortened, I figured it might be a "Special Order". I guess I was right and wrong. Lol
28" must have been pretty rare in the 32W?
It was definitely fitted with a tang sight at some point. Makes sense I guess. At least I didn't pay too much.
Thanks again.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

28" barrels are not that common, but not rare regardless of cartridge. When I was chasing early pre WWI Marlin lever actions I always liked finding any with extra length barrels, and the longer the better!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!