Marlin 39 magazine tube

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

JWColby
Beginner

Marlin 39 magazine tube

Post by JWColby »

Hello all,

New here. While doing a search at Rimfire Central, I saw a link to this place. So, I thought it might be better to ask my question here. I have a 39 and, based on its "S" prefix and serial number, it's from the late 20's/early 30's. I received it as a basket case and have redone the whole gun, but for the life of me I can't figure out the magazine tube. I know it's different from a 39A. I'm keeping it original, but I'm sure it's missing a piece or has the wrong piece. It's has what I received it with. I took the mount out of the barrel and figured out that the outer tube comes out for loading. I have no idea how the inner tube mounts onto the piece from the barrel. I have a screw, but it doesn't seem correct, doesn't hold the tube in place, would be in the way of the spring, but does thread in the tube that's part of the end of the piece from the barrel. If all that makes sense. Does anyone has a picture or drawing of this tube? Thanks in advance. Hopefully you can see the image with the provided link.

Regards,
Jeremy

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TCZDTKqAFdU6rBo38
WhatsNext
Beginner

Re: Marlin 39 magazine tube

Post by WhatsNext »

Seems to me if I remember correctly, you extend the tube most of the way out and there’s an access hole in the tube that allows you to fit the dovetail fitting into and then the screw to tighten.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge can confirm or add pictures or detail.

Hank
Hank
In Cheyenne
Marlin M92, 39
JWColby
Beginner

Post by JWColby »

Thanks for the reply Hank. Yeah, there is an access hole, but the screw I have that came with the rifle is smaller than the hole in the inner tube, so it doesn't hold the tube in place. That's why I'm wondering if I have the wrong screw, or maybe it should be something different all together different. Maybe someone lost the right piece that goes in there in the past and just put a screw in its place. Maybe someone will come up with the info. All I have found online is information about converting to the 39A, but nothing about the original 39 style.

Regards,
Jeremy
WhatsNext
Beginner

Post by WhatsNext »

Picture of screw in access hole. If this helps at all. :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/6dcweyha ... s063f&dl=0
Hank
In Cheyenne
Marlin M92, 39
JWColby
Beginner

Post by JWColby »

Thanks for this reply also Hank. Is that your 39? Is it possible to take the screw out temporarily? I have an idea what it should look like, but I'm not 100% sure, and I would like to make it as original as possible. If not, I'm still thankful for the photo. I have a machine shop, so I can make one easy (most of the time) enough.

B.T.W., I see you're in Cheyenne. I pass through there at least once a year on my way to Sioux Falls. Casper too if I'm coming down from 90 after staying in Salmon a bit. Last year I went to the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody and saw Jeremiah Johnston's burial sight. All amazing!

Regards,
Jeremy
WhatsNext
Beginner

Post by WhatsNext »

Yes, one of my 39s. I will take a look tomorrow and see if I can get it out and back in without issues. I have a bunch of Marlin screws, might luck out and have one. :-)
Seems like everyone goes through Cheyenne sooner or later.
Hank
Hank
In Cheyenne
Marlin M92, 39
JWColby
Beginner

Post by JWColby »

Thanks Hank. I'll keep an eye open tomorrow.

Jeremy
WhatsNext
Beginner

Post by WhatsNext »

I don’t have a replacement screw.
Here’s a picture and some measurements.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/w6hd2eq3 ... g0s1o&dl=0

Hank
Hank
In Cheyenne
Marlin M92, 39
JWColby
Beginner

Post by JWColby »

Thank you for the reply and your work on this Hank. So, I'm confused (again). The spring compresses against the head of the screw as you pull the outer tube out?

Regards,
Jeremy
WhatsNext
Beginner

Post by WhatsNext »

I’ll take another look at it today, but I dislike working with springs! Think Jack-in-the-Box with
Springs and parts everywhere. :-(
Hank
Hank
In Cheyenne
Marlin M92, 39
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Larry Osborn has brand new screws for almost every Marlin model. And a great guy to buy from too. He's in Hayden, Id. at 208-651-6300.

Vall
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
JWColby
Beginner

Post by JWColby »

Thanks for the info Vall. You and Hank have been quite helpful. I think I can make a screw based on Hank's picture and dimensions. My next question is if the screw head holds the spring back and compresses it as you take the outer tube out? I thought it just went with the outer tube when you pull it, but based on what the screw looks like, it must compress the spring. I don't think the spring would be able to get pass it.

Regards,
Jeremy
WhatsNext
Beginner

Post by WhatsNext »

These are a couple pictures from a M92(which I’m more comfortable taking a screw out of).
I’ve looked in my brophy and Cook books just not finding anything that might help.
I’d like to see a couple more pictures of your parts and perhaps that might jog my memory on how this works.
Someone with more experience than me will hopefully help.
Sorry, gonna be a few before I can load the picture to Dropbox. :-)
Hank
In Cheyenne
Marlin M92, 39
WhatsNext
Beginner

Post by WhatsNext »

Hank
In Cheyenne
Marlin M92, 39
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

JWColby wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:31 pm Thanks for the info Vall. You and Hank have been quite helpful. I think I can make a screw based on Hank's picture and dimensions. My next question is if the screw head holds the spring back and compresses it as you take the outer tube out? I thought it just went with the outer tube when you pull it, but based on what the screw looks like, it must compress the spring. I don't think the spring would be able to get pass it.

Regards,
Jeremy
The screw holds the tube to the barrel, but it holds the inside tube, and the outer tube is slotted the full length to clear the screw as you draw it forward. There's a machined plug on the inner tube that the screw sits in, and that plug also it what the latch on the end catches to so it stays locked after loading.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!