Marlin OK .30 rimfire pistol

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

ndnchf
Beginner

Marlin OK .30 rimfire pistol

Post by ndnchf »

I have acquired a very nice Marlin OK .30 rimfire pistol. I have a small collection of small, vest pocket type pistols and recently found this one at a very good price in an antique mall. It is in nice condition and has very nice silver plate on the frame and nickel on the barrel. My old Flyderman's guide has minimal information on it. Norm indicates they were made 1863 - 1870 with about 5000 produced. Mine has serial number 10,943. Were the serial numbers additive to the previous model? This seems like very high number based on the 5000 said to be produced.

I am more of a shooter than collector. As such I like to shoot all my antiques and go to great lengths to make ammunition. I make my own reloadable rimfire ammunition for .25, .32, .38, .41, .44 and .50 rimfire cartridges. I have a youtube channel with over 60 antique firearms videos, most shooting my antique guns. About a year ago I made up a single .30 rimfire cartridge in anticipation of buying a Sharps 4 barrel pistol. That ended up falling through, so I put the cartridge away. Fast forward to today and the little OK pistol. I now have a use for it. I plan to make a few more, then take it to the range.

I would post photos, but I don't see a way to do it. Maybe it is because I just joined?

Thanks,
Steve
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin OK .30 rimfire pistol

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Steve;

Instructions to post photos are listed in the "No Longer Guest Questions" section.

As to the serial number question, Marlin serialized the derringers as he produced them. They seem to have been made in "batches" of one model and then another batch of another model. In total, Marlin made over 17,000 derringers. And, when you add up the total number of all Marlin handguns produced from 1863 to 1898, Marlin made over 100,000 handguns.
The idea of serializing the guns after they were produced, regardless of what models, was carried on with the lever action rifles and shotguns.
Start with number 1 and continue on without regard to what model follows another.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
ndnchf
Beginner

Post by ndnchf »

Thanks for the serial number explanation. That helps clear things up a bit.
ndnchf
Beginner

Post by ndnchf »

I made five reloadable .30 rimfire cartridges. I went to the range last week and tried them out. I made a short video of the fun.
https://youtu.be/rS3aClX8vG0?si=2NWE9atA1Cd_9-ZW