Marlin Identification

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Mando55
Beginner

Marlin Identification

Post by Mando55 »

Hello all, I’m new to this so bear with me.

I am trying to identify my father’s gun. The stamp on the top of the barrel says “Marlin Fire-Arms Co. New Haven. CT. USA Pat’d Nov 19 1878 April 2 1889 Aug 12 1890 Mar 1 1892” and on either side of this stamp are four circles in the shape of a diamond. Under the lever is marked “07889”. The barrel is smooth, and there are no other identifiable impressions or markings. The butt cap is stamped “M. FA. Co.” with “Marlin Safety” above and below it.

When I search the serial number the year of manufacture says 1884.

The butt cap looks like the ones from the 1890s models I’ve seen online.

All of the images I’ve found of other Marlin rifles have either arrows or diamonds on the ends of the barrel stamp, I have not seen any that have the four circles diamonded together.

I’m guessing that it was either assembled using old parts or perhaps it was an older rifle that was re-barrelled? My dad said that it was a family rifle, but wasn’t sure how far back. Possibly before the 1940s?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

When I am able I will post pictures of it. Thanks!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Identification

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Mando55;

You need to look at that serial number much closer. Marlin numbers never started with a zero until 1991. The butt plate sounds like a pre-1920 manufactured gun.
What caliber is this rifle? The patent dates tend to indicate that this is a .22 caliber gun, but may be a .32 Colt caliber. The hyphenated Fire-Arms is another clue that indicates an earlier gun, around 1905 or so. After that, the stamp was changed to a one word "Firearms".
With a correct serial number, we can tell you more.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Mando55
Beginner

Post by Mando55 »

Thanks for the quick response! After closer inspection it appears that it is a Model '92 in .32 caliber. The serial number had some grime on it, and after clearing that away it is actually C7389 (not 07889). The other information originally posted is accurate (old style butt plate and hyphenated "Fire-Arms". Seeing others post on here suggest that this would place it's year of manufacture between 1907 and 1916, would that be accurate?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Mando55;

The "C" prefix to the serial number indicates that your Marlin Model '92 would have been assembled from parts on hand by the Marlin-Rockwell Corporation during WW I. The "C" prefix has been associated with the year 1918. The Corporation assembled sporting arms during the war between contracts to keep employees busy. That would account for the older barrel marking on your rifle.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Mando55
Beginner

Post by Mando55 »

Awesome, thank you for the information!