410 lever SG Firing Pin Removal

Anything to do with gun smithing.
Retired W4
Beginner

410 lever SG Firing Pin Removal

Post by Retired W4 »

I just discovered the gunsmithing section here so this is kind of a repost from the lever gun section. Here is the problem.

I have one of the 410 lever action shotguns that were produced as a stock holders promo. It feeds and ejects fine but with a shell in the chamber it just goes click. The nose of the firing pin is broken off. My problem is driving the pins out of the bolt for removal of the firing pin. I have done the operation dozens of time on other flat sided bolts with no problem.

These pins are not moving. I've tried going from top to bottom and vice versa with no joy. I've soaked the bolt in my mixture of ATF and acetone, Kroil and other mixtures with no success. I am now looking for some one with a good hydraulic press to see if that moves them. I really want to get this thing back together but I'm at my wit's end. Help.
OGCA
SWCA
SWHF
NRA
VHPA
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: 410 lever SG Firing Pin Removal

Post by marlinman93 »

Not sure a press will help as pressing them out wont shock the pins free like a drift punch and a hammer does. I've had these pins stick also, and I use an aluminum block with holes drilled in it as a backer to situate the breech bolts over, so the pins have a place to go as they're driven out. The aluminum block also give a solid base, so when tapping the pins it's not absorbing the blow. I additionally have an old drift punch that's sized to the pins and I cut it off so there's only about 1/4" of the tip left. This allows me to give it a harder tap, and not have the punch deflect, or bend the tip. Once they move I switch to a regular punch to get them the rest of the way. You may also consider applying some heat via a soldering gun tip directly on the end of the pin before tapping on it.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Retired W4
Beginner

Post by Retired W4 »

I've already bent two punches. I will shorten one up. I can see how that will help. The differential heat is also a good idea. I have been backing it up with a plastic and rubber block from Real Avid. The hard rubber base is probably absorbing some of the shock I need. I'm no gunsmith and I appreciate the sound advice.

There is not much info on these guns, but the best I have found is in Flayderman's, 7th ed., pg. 123. They state that the gun utilized the basic 1983 rifle receiver. I'm hoping, after I get the broken firing pin out, a 1893 firing pin will work. Jack First has some. If the 1893 pin isn't a match I hope to be able to modify one or have a machinist I know make one. First thing is getting the broken part out...without breaking the bolt.

I'll give status reports as I go.
OGCA
SWCA
SWHF
NRA
VHPA
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

These Model 410 shotguns were just leftover 1893 receivers, so all the Model 1893/93 parts will fit. Only the carriers were slightly modified to work with the 410 shells and feed reliably.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Retired W4
Beginner

Post by Retired W4 »

That is great news. You can now disregard my last question in my PM. Thank you.
OGCA
SWCA
SWHF
NRA
VHPA