SOURCE FOR .25 STEVENS RIMFIRE ??

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

BUSSMAN69
Beginner

SOURCE FOR .25 STEVENS RIMFIRE ??

Post by BUSSMAN69 »

Well I expanded my Marlin collecting from strictly lever guns to now include the Model 27 and 27S. So I have already acquired one in .25-20 and another in .25 Stevens rimfire. The last one in .32-20 is proving alot harder to find a decent example of. Plus I only want them with an Octagonal barrel. No interest at all in round barreled rifles. Anyway, trying to find shooting ammo in .25 Stevens is comparable to trying to find Hen's Teeth. Outside of buying boxes of collectable ammo at $3 to $5 per round plus shipping on top of that. Is obviously cost prohibitive for rimfire ammo.
So I am looking for a small miracle here. But are there any sources whatsoever for this long obsolete ammo ??
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: SOURCE FOR .25 STEVENS RIMFIRE ??

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Bussman69;

The.25 Stevens cartridge boxes do show up from time to time on Guns International. But as you have found, they will be expensive. You can watch some auction sites and hope to get a sleeper. Guns shows might have a box or two, also.
Good luck.........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
BUSSMAN69
Beginner

Post by BUSSMAN69 »

Yes I was afraid of that. I will keep watching Gunbroker and hope for a small miracle and be able to pay less then $3 a round hopefully. There is plenty of it on there but bids usually start at $3 a round :-(
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I bought mine at a local gun show, and always looking for more. But in many years of looking I rarely find any I'd consider shooting. Some of it is so old that it would be criminal to shoot it since it's so collectible. The stuff I shoot is later Cannuck ammo, and I don't mind shooting it up. I had a friend who came into an estate sale and he found 8 boxes of Cannuck .32 Long RF, and 10 boxes of Cannuck .25 Stevens RF. I bought all of it to get the .25 ammo, and sold the .32 Long RF ammo.
I own a Ballard #3 that was sent to Stevens to be rebored, and rifled to the .25 Stevens RF, and fitted with a full length Stevens scope. I wish they'd left it as the original .22RF, but it likely wouldn't be as minty as it is if could be shot cheaply and easily instead.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!