Marlin marked paper patched bullets

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Marlin marked paper patched bullets

Post by marlinman93 »

I attended the annual Cartridge Collectors Show in Castle Rock, Wa. this morning, and stopped to talk to my friend Ralph who came down from Canada to set up a table. He has some very cool stuff, and I'd have bought almost everything he had if I wasn't watching my pennies.
He had a very interesting box of .38-55 UMC bullets that were "254 grain" marked on the box! Never seen any in this oddball weight? He also had a box of JM Marlin marked .38-55 255 gr., but I have the same box in nicer shape. Then I spotted two boxes that caught my eye! Both .40 caliber, paper patched, with one being 285 gr. and the other 330 gr.! So we worked a deal and I brought both home.
These would have been for either Marlin Ballard single shots in a few different cartridge chamberings, like .40-63B, .40-85B, or .40-65B chamberings, or even the 1881 lever action model in .40-60M cartridge. I always look for Marlin marked ammo, or bullets, but rarely see any in recent years. Didn't see a lot decades ago either, but they've really dried up now.
Of course these wont ever be loaded up! ;)

These were likely made for Marlin by UMC, as the two companies often worked together on cartridge development. They will date to 1881 or newer being marked "Marlin Firearms Co." I have some older boxes of bullets, and ammunition marked "JM Marlin, which would be pre 1881.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!