Anyone able to help me out?

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Trulybobbarker
Beginner

Anyone able to help me out?

Post by Trulybobbarker »

I have an old gun from my grandpa. Someone told me it’s a . 22 lever action rolling block made in 1890 but I really can’t find any information on this at all. The serial number 34249, it doesn’t have any other numbers stamped into it besides the writing on the left side stating the gun maker and patent dates of 1876 and 1861. I’ve taken some pictures if it would help at all but I’m not seeing a way to post them here.
Trulybobbarker
Beginner

Re: Anyone able to help me out?

Post by Trulybobbarker »

Actually think I found out what it is, not sure of the caliber though. I believe it is a marlin Ballard no 4 perfection. Wasn’t sure how to edit my post so I just did a reply. Would still gladly take any information from anyone about this gun or answer any questions to help narrow down what exactly it is.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Without the exact info stamped on the left side of the receiver, it's impossible to tell you what it might be. And I need to know if the stamped markings are in two lines, or three lines. I can sure use good pictures also to assist if you want to email them to me. But I need your email address first, or my email server will kick back any emails coming in from sources not in my address list.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Trulybobbarker
Beginner

Post by Trulybobbarker »

It’s three lines and in all caps even though I didn’t write it that way.
Marlin fire arms co New Haven ct U.S.A
Patented February 9 1875
Ballard’s patent nov 5 1861
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

If it's 3 lines I'm fairly certain you don't have a Marlin Ballard #4 Perfection. A common mistake, as the #4 and the less expensive #2 look much alike, but most people hope they have the more valuable forged #4 rifles. The 3 line address almost always indicates a cast receiver #2, unless it really is a .22RF and it will be a #3.
If you own a dial caliper you can measure the bore at the muzzle, and also at the chamber, and post those measurements and I can make an educated guess. Also post the exact stamped info on the left side of the action and I can make a guess at approximate year made. It's likely going to be a J.M. Marlin, but later will be marked Marlin Firearms Co.
The Ballard is not a "rolling block" action. Nor is it a true "falling block" action either. The Ballard is a unique action design that is a dropping block unlike any other old single shot action.
Trulybobbarker
Beginner

Post by Trulybobbarker »

I don’t own a dial caliper but I’m sure I can take it somewhere to have it measured. I had the gun looked at in Cheyenne Wyoming after my grandfather passed just to see what it was as I had no idea. They really didn’t tell me much besides the .22 rolling block, I guess they really didn’t know what it was, and they offered me 2k for it right there but I had no want to sell it. When I looked up the serial number it said 1890 production date. Thanks for all the information you have gave and are continuing to give me on this gun.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Just an update to " Trulybobbarker" Ballard rifle. It is a #3 Marlin Ballard in .22 Long, and as suspected should date to around 1889 production. A nice little heirloom.
Trulybobbarker
Beginner

Post by Trulybobbarker »

Thank you marlinman93, you were very helpful and very knowledgeable. I can’t say enough kind words about all the help and information you have gave me with the ID if this family heirloom.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Trulybobbarker wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:51 pm Thank you marlinman93, you were very helpful and very knowledgeable. I can’t say enough kind words about all the help and information you have gave me with the ID if this family heirloom.
Glad I could assist you!