Model 1893 stock repair

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

MikeJordan
Beginner

Model 1893 stock repair

Post by MikeJordan »

I've seen a couple of 1893's with a flat head screw through the butt stock right behind the receiver. They all appear to be very old "repairs". Is this common? The stocks on these guns seem to be in good condition with no visible cracks.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 1893 stock repair

Post by marlinman93 »

If you're referring to bolts through side to side to repair stocks; it's an area that has occasionally been broken on many brands and models of lever action rifles. The combination of wood removed between the tangs, and often someone falling and landing on their rifle while hunting, often resulted in stock damage in the wrist. It wasn't just a Marlin issue, but an issue for many makes and models of guns with tang attachment method.
And back in the old days when these guns weren't considered collectible, and they didn't have the tools, or adhesives to make a proper repair; a bolt through the wrist was fast and cheap. So I've seen a number of them done with bolts, screws, and even copper wire wrapped wrists.
The only fix now is to hope you can find a takeoff stock that's a decent fix, or buy semi inletted new stocks, and fit and finish them to replace those on the gun. Not an easy task for a beginner, but it is a fun project if you want to take it on, and learn how to do it.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
MikeJordan
Beginner

Post by MikeJordan »

marlinman93 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:02 am The only fix now is to hope you can find a takeoff stock that's a decent fix, or buy semi inletted new stocks, and fit and finish them to replace those on the gun. Not an easy task for a beginner, but it is a fun project if you want to take it on, and learn how to do it.
I suppose the durability of the stock repair is depending on the extent of damage. If the stock is solid, I assume it will hold up to use without having to be replaced?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Those old bolt repairs will mostly be very solid, and would work fine in shooting. I personally wont leave them as is, because I think they're ugly. But not because I'm afraid they're weakened. I try to avoid buying guns that have bad stocks because I hate doing the repair/replacement work. But I also like getting bargains, and often a really good price means I'm going to have to restock the gun. So I do buy them if the numbers are there, and I wont be upside down once I'm done fixing one.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!