New to me 1889

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Frito1
Beginner

New to me 1889

Post by Frito1 »

My step-dad died suddenly in September last year. He asked years ago what gun I’d choose as a favorite. It was an easy choice. He had an old octogon barreled Marlin lever gun that belonged to his grandfather. Very nice unit.

Now the problem. I remember the gun when he and my mom married in the 70’s. It was a hunting gun that was much used and *previously* loved. It had a little rust and the finish on the furniture was thin. About 20-25 years ago he took it to a guy that reblued the steel and refinished the furniture. I cringed, but this was long before he offered it to me.

Now in my possession, it’s nice to look at, but the restoration guy was a hack. Belt sander marks show from breech to muzzle on every flat of the barrel. The caliber marking is gone unless it’s hidden under wood somewhere, the Marlin markings are very faint, Marlin Safety is clearly stamped atop the receiver. According to old guns.net it was made in 1891.

I have a desire to put a few rounds though this gem while I’m still able. Of course there’s no ammo. I need advice on how to determine the correct chambering for this gun. I recall a 40 year ago conversation that it was a something or other /20, but I’m not absolutely sure of that. It appears to be of around a 30 cal. 32/20 maybe? The loading gate seems short. I’ve thought of getting a machinist at work to use an inside mic on the bore. Cerrosafe is an option. Is there a SN based database? SN is 469xx.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: New to me 1889

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Frito1;

With the complete serial number, the old factory records can be checked to determine the caliber of your Marlin Model 1889.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Frito1;

With the complete serial number, the old factory records can be checked to determine the caliber of your Marlin Model 1889.

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Frito1;

Frito1
Beginner

Post by Frito1 »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:23 am Frito1;

👍 46980
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Frito1;

The old factory records show that your Marlin Model 1889 was shipped in early 1891 with a 24 inch octagon barrel in .32-20 caliber.

Frito1
Beginner

Post by Frito1 »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:48 am Frito1;

The old factory records show that your Marlin Model 1889 was shipped in early 1891 with a 24 inch octagon barrel in .32-20 caliber.
Wow, that is great information. Thank you very much.

Now I get to shop for ammo. 😬
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Frito1;

Just remember, this is a black powder gun. No high pressure smokeless powder ammunition or fully jacketed bullets!! The barrel metal is a softer steel and jacketed bullets will wear the rifling down quicker than lead bullets.

Frito1
Beginner

Post by Frito1 »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:43 am Frito1;

Just remember, this is a black powder gun. No high pressure smokeless powder ammunition or fully jacketed bullets!! The barrel metal is a softer steel and jacketed bullets will wear the rifling down quicker than lead bullets.
Thank you. I will bear that in mind while shopping. This may be another reason I should be reloading.