Model 60 magazine plunger problems

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

MacEntyre
Beginner

Model 60 magazine plunger problems

Post by MacEntyre »

I have a 1968 model 60 (specifically a Glenfield 75) with a magazine plunger that is hard as the dickens to get in after loading the magazine.

The plunger hangs up on the rims, and seldom will go in without a fight. Sometimes it hangs up near the top, and sometimes on the last shell.

I cannot get more than 9 rounds loaded; with 10 the plunger stops solid one inch short.

Has anyone solved this problem?

Thanks!
- MacEntyre
Marlin Collector Wannabe
ken w.
Marksman

Post by ken w. »

I would take the tube apart and deep clean it with Gun Scrubber,brake parts cleaner or other good solvent.The pin that locks the tube in place can be driven out and the tube cap can be removed.Take the spring and plunger out and clean the heck out of them.Then take your .22 cal bore brush and wrap a bit of steel wool around it and clean the inside of the tube with this and solvent.You may need to streach your spring a bit to return it too the correct tension.Clean the inside of the outer tube as well.I take steel wool and solvent and clean the outside of the inner tube to remove tarnish and gunk.Wipe it down with a light coat of gun oil and you should be all set.Make sure the inner tube is not bent as well.Roll it on you kitchen counter to make sure its straight.If it's bent it will wobble.You can buy a new tube from Marlin or Brownwll's for about $20.00 if its bent.
MacEntyre
Beginner

Thank you!

Post by MacEntyre »

Knowing I an get a new one for $20, I'm more inclined to knock out the pin and clean things up.

Thank you, Ken!
- MacEntyre
Marlin Collector Wannabe
MacEntyre
Beginner

nothing wrong...

Post by MacEntyre »

The pin came out easily, and all parts of the magazine are very clean, including inner and outer tubes, spring and follower.

The inner tube is 10 inches long, and the spring is 16 inches long. It holds 9 shots. It tends to hang up whether it has a full magazine or not. Even 6 rounds will hang up when you insert the outer tube.

My gunsmith suggested holding the rifle upright when inserting the tube into the magazine. That helps, but it still gets hung up easily.

Martin has new tubes for $23. Springs are not sold separately. I might try one, if I don't find the secret!

I suspect the problem is that the follower seat is worn where it meets the spring, so it is a little askew.
- MacEntyre
Marlin Collector Wannabe
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

be certain the inner spring fits inside the follower well! If it is riding on the tube, it can give you grief. Also check the opening on the end of the inner tube, to see it has no burrs that can restrict the cartridges from entering. Check the spring for eveness along it's circumference. If some of the coils are either kinked, or larger, they wont compress properly, and will give you grief.
If all else fails, buy the new tube, as it's not worth the hassle for $23.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!