Old Sears .22 (Marlin 80 I think) question

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

radd
Beginner

Old Sears .22 (Marlin 80 I think) question

Post by radd »

Hey all.
Kids interest in 4H shooting and recent rifle purchases (non marlin) has rekindled a too long dormant interest in target shooting and my old guns.

So, the rifle I've had the longest is a Sears & Roebuck Mod 42-103 1979I. I've researched it and it seems its a Marlin 80, please let me know if I'm wrong.
I want to reblue and give the bolt a really good cleaning but cant figure out how to get the bolt out! And I dont want to just start monkeying around with it and tear something up that will be hard to replace.
So is there any info or web site that has the proper dissassembly for the mod 80? If this has been posted before I'm sorry I must not have done a
good enough search
Thanks for your time.
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

I know it is a Marlin as the 103 is the Sears code for Marlins. Just so you know there is a model to manufacturer link on e-gunparts.com if you go down to the Sears brands you can find the specific model information there.
GBOT, GBUSA
pdowg881
Beginner

Post by pdowg881 »

I have a marlin 80 thats stamped as a JC Penney model 2235. As with most bolt guns, to remove the bolt, just unload it, keep the trigger pulled, and the bolt should slide right out of the back of the gun. No other dissasembly should be required for cleaning or mantainence.
radd
Beginner

Post by radd »

so you dont have to remove the whole thing from the stock? thanks I will try that when I get home. I havent had much experience with bolt action dissassembly (obviously)
thanks again
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Unless it's REALLY gunked up, I wouldn't take the bolt clear apart - they are a little tricky to re-assemble. You should only have to pull the action from the stock if the gun has gotten wet as in a rain shower. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
radd
Beginner

Post by radd »

I was thinking of reblueing it. is that a bad idea? also if i just take the bolt out I should be able to clean it fairly well right? i dont really want to take it completely apart unless I have too. the bolt just has alot of powder residue on it and I wanted to check it over and get it as clean as I can.

also on a side note, the safety doesnt work, not sure if it ever did since I owned it. But I looked at it and basically it wont slide under the trigger like it should. is this a common thing with these rifles?
I also have an issue with the clip falling out sometimes, i've been thinking about getting a new one, will this help?
the rifle shoots well and is relatively good shape with those few exceptions.
thanks
pdowg881
Beginner

Post by pdowg881 »

Probly way 2 late of a reply, but: Put a cleaning patch with solvent through the barrel, the run a dry patch through. repeat this until the patches are clean. Then clean the bolt and bolt face. Then run a cloth with oil down th barrel, and oil the action. That's all you really have to do to clean it.
pdowg881
Beginner

Post by pdowg881 »

Check if the clip spring is loose. If you look on the back of the clip where the releaswe button is, the spring is a flat peice of metal running up the side. If the clip is loose, bend it out more to get tension on it.