Johnson Military Rifle.

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Johnson Military Rifle.

Post by Sure-Shot »

I have a friend that collects a variety of old rifles one of which is the Johnson with its rotary clip. He shared some of his background material and it said Marlin in connection with another company made the 20 proto-types at least some of which had box magazines. Anybody out there have any more information about early production? What a find a Marlin made Johnson.
GBOT, GBUSA
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Now THERE is a scarce rifle!! I don't find it right at hand in my notes, but there were a FEW of these made by Marlin. I seem to recall there were some full auto prototypes, as well.

Oddly, Johnson made a FEW sporting rifles, too. Rare in capital letters! The most common Johnson rifles sell in the 3000 dollar range. While the majority have the rotary magazine, a FEW have a vertical one. Very, very rare. See the Smith & Smith book of Rifles, page 487 for a pic of same.

The same article says Johnson made 50,000 of these for the Dutch East Indies forces, but gives no production figures for those made for the USMC. My copy is out on loan, but try also Hatcher's Notebook for other comments.

Very interesting topic! SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!