older Marlin info

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

MrGee
Beginner

older Marlin info

Post by MrGee »

nice site here easy to use an lots of information but haven't found any thing on a 1894 lever in 38-40, ser #234,5XX, 26" octagon barrel , the bore brite, mechanically sound, bluing is around 65+ an the wood is dull like no finish. also has a tang site but looks to be installed later on as the blue is better on that part, i was refurred here as i asked at another site... what i'd like to know is its age an value, in a book that was shown to me the 1894 said only 24" barrel for 1894, so i thought i could be 1893 but no 38-40 was made for that model year, it was suggested that the barrel was special orderd..? an that books don't always give all the info one mite exspect. resently i have taken pictures so maybe they will reveal what i'm looking for. thanks for any help that you may give Rich G,....
http://community.webshots.com/photo/617 ... 0152Lggcbh

http://community.webshots.com/photo/617 ... 0316mFObUP

http://community.webshots.com/photo/617 ... 0934ViIoPm
nc.mr.g@charter.net NC
confussed but learning
RichG,...
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

The photos do not show the dates on the barrel could you please tell us what they are and any other markings you can see, and where they are on the rifle.
GBOT, GBUSA
MrGee
Beginner

Post by MrGee »

barrel..
marlin fire arms co new haven ct usa
patent date oct 11 1887 april 2 1889 august 1 1899
behind the rear site says 38-40
say marlin safety atop of the reciever
ser# is under the reciever
tang site say lyman
thats about all i see visible...
confussed but learning
RichG,...
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Most 1894's are so marked on the tang running into the butt stock. However, many older receivers from the 1889 were used later in making up 1894's. Not all of them were used in early production either according to Wm Brophy's book Marlin Firearms A History of the Guns and the Company that made them. I suspect when Reigner checks in he can give you more information. When I looked at your rifle I thought it was an 1889. Will check back and see what else gets added.
GBOT, GBUSA
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

MrGee.

Your rifle is definetly a Model 1894, and with a serial number in the range given, it should have been shipped in about 1902.
The 26 inch barrel was an option available. Barrels could be had up to 32 inches long. The standard barrel was 24 inches long. Shorter barrels could also be ordered.
That tang sight most likely is not made for the 1894 Marlin rifle. The long, high base looks almost like a early No. 1 Combination tang sight made prior to 1884. You would need to remove the tang sight, and see if there are any markings on the bottom of the sight base to identify it. Look for a patent date too. If it is a No. 1, the patent date will be 1879.
I hope this helps.
MrGee
Beginner

Post by MrGee »

Ok thanks so much for the info i finanally ventured into taking off the tang site, found no markings at all, except for 'lyman' on any of the parts, but to my surprize it says Model 1894 on the gun, rite under where the site was... so there you go... thanks again Rich G,.....
confussed but learning
RichG,...
tim1958b
Beginner

marlin info

Post by tim1958b »

i see alot of guys here know alot about marlins well i own several one being a model 27 pum in 25/20 wcf i need a magazine ,tube ,spring and follower i cannot find after looking now for 5 years nothing is anyplace why? i have both inner and outer tubes complete rifle but as is is only a single shot not the seven shot repeater it has been in my family since it was new so the sentimental value to me cannot be priced ,i want to shoot this rifle as it was made to shoot a pump repeater please reply tome right here ill pay big time for the inner working parts even if they come from some other brand gun as long as they will work in my marlin id be happy and send the postal money order right out.. im getting older and before i die and go to dust i want to use this fine old marlin some ...
MrGee
Beginner

Post by MrGee »

Ok i have no clue if this will actuallly help, but it may be worth trying.. :idea:
Stehen Farfaro, Hope Well junction in NY 845 226 7758 / 845 227 9274..
Bob Haidl Colon Mi. 616 432 2341..
John E.Davis Bethamy Ct. 203 268 8666..
John B. Rogers New Milford Ct. 860 354 4087..
if they can't actually help you, maybe they can turn you towards someone who can...
good luck.. lets usknow how you make out :)
confussed but learning
RichG,...
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

http://www.gun-parts.com/marlin/ Bob’s Gun Shop, sells a lot of old and newly manufactured for old guns.
http://www.wisnersinc.com/please_read.htm Wisner’s another spot to find old gun parts.
If you go on ebay and do a search for "Marlin Gun Parts" you will get 8-12 pages of parts on any given day. I would however go to e-gunparts.com
Numerich as I think the spring for other rifles would work in yours just fine. They have an 800 number on their site and you can call and talk to someone to be sure. Might even call Marlin. They have an 800 number as well.
GBOT, GBUSA