Camp-45 bolt stop breakage

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Gromulin
Beginner

Camp-45 bolt stop breakage

Post by Gromulin »

I just picked up a Camp-45, and after the first round of chasing brass, I changed out the recoil spring to a Wolff 16.5 pound spring (stock spring is 12 pound), figuring that this would slow the bolt, and reduce the distance the brass would fly.

SO, as they say, I get the new spring, and it's longer than the original. I check the Wolff FAQ page, and it assures me that is not a concern. I install the spring.

I go to the range last weekend, and after about 20 rounds, the manual bolt hold open wont work, nor will the bolt hold open after the last shot in the mag. Everything else work fine, and I finish my day at the range.

I get home to clean and find out whats wrong with the bolt stop, and see that the end that contacts the bolt is chewed up and so is the corner of the bolt that it contacts.

Would just a higher power spring do all this damage in 20 rounds or was their probably a pre-existing problem? I honestly did not really inspect the bolt/stop closely before this happened.

The bolt stop is a cheap item, but the bolt isn't. Can I have a gunsmith weld and grind the corner of the bolt to square it up again?

Thanks. Feel free to email jeo2002@surewest.net.