39A Fluted Comb Chronology

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

jackman
Beginner

39A Fluted Comb Chronology

Post by jackman »

In Col. Brophy's book, the history of the fluted stock comb on the 39A is unclear to me. As I read his book, the fluted comb made it's appearance in 1951 but it is not clear when it disappeared and reappeared again. He suggests the Bishop style stock was introduced in 1957 along with the gold trigger, but doesn't say when the fluted comb came back again.

Here's my problem: I'm looking at a 39A with gold trigger and Bishop style straight stock. The SN is 71-XXXX, therefore it was made in 1971. I'm also viewing online a 39A with gold trigger, unknown SN, and FLUTED comb stock. Brophy says the gold trigger and straight stock made their appearance in 1957 but he doesn't say when the fluted stock reappeared in the 39A with gold trigger. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Jackman;

The straight gripped version of the Model 39-A is the Mountie, and it was introducedin 1953. The first variation of the Mountie had a 24 inch barrel, but was changed to a 20 inch barrel after that.
The reference to the Bishop style stock is a change in the shape of the pistol grip along with the grip cap with white line spacer. The Model 39-A has always had the fluted comb after it was added in 1951. (except for the 39-A Octagon) If you look at the Chronology of the 39-A on pages 288, 289 and 291, you will see that the Model 39-M (Mountie) had the stock comb fluted eliminated in 1976. If you look at the pictures of all the Model 39-A's, you will see that they all (except for the 39-A Octagon) have the fluted comb stock. The Model 39-D was made both ways.
I hope this helps.