Model 20 pump 22 variations....

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Ultona
Marksman

Model 20 pump 22 variations....

Post by Ultona »

I have a question for the Marlin collectors out there. How many variations of the model 20 exist? I have a 24" heavy octagon barrel one with a full mag and a buttplate that is crescent steel and about as big as the one they used on some 1894's. I also have a model 20 with a 23" light octagon barrel and half magazine with a small "S" style buttplate that I have never seen on any other models. There is a world of difference in the handling and feel of these guns, but both say model 20 on the tang, although one does have an "A" suffix on it, but I think that refers more to improvements to the bolt/locking system than the style of the gun. Brophy claims they made 22" barrel full mag ones too, but maybe that is a misprint and he meant to say 24". Any info greatly appreciated.
moodyholler
Beginner

Post by moodyholler »

Ultona, i have one of the "S" buttplate ones with half mag and 23" barrel. It is very light. It also has a neat rear sight adjustable with a screw driver. I can send pics if you want. I also got a 37 a few weeks ago with full mag and flat plastic buttplate like the one on a 39. It is the neatest pump I have. moodyholler
Hopkins and Allen falling blocks parts and guns wanted.
Doc Sharptail
Beginner

Post by Doc Sharptail »

Brophy's book lists 4 different variations of the 20. Most variations can be determined by the length of the bolt lock, and differences in the firing pin and spring.. Thjere was the model 20, the two different bolt lock versions of the 20-A, and the 20-S- with round bbl.
There's a shooter up here that has a 20-A with the "A" designation in the roll stamp- I believe this would be the 3rd variation of the 20. I have a 20-A with the shorter bolt lock and no "A" in the roll stamp- according to Brophy's photo's, a second variation gun.

Hope I haven't confused you too badly.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail