Model 98

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

bonedade
Beginner

Model 98

Post by bonedade »

I have just purchased a Marlin 98 at a gun show and I haven't been able to find out much about it. If anyone can shed some light I would appreciate it. Also the Marlin scope has broken cross hairs any suggestions as to where I can send it for repair?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Brad
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

This is one of the scarcer Marlin semi-autos. They were made 1957-1959 only, and 9061 were produced. The 98 had improvements over the previous model but still did not reach sales expectations, so it was discontinued in favor of the model 99 which was more economical to produce - and therefore more profitable.

I can't help with the scope as I have not actually sent one off to be repaired. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

You might try Parsons scope repair. I think they can be found on the internet. Hope it's a valuable scope, as scope repairs generally run pretty high, even for a simple crosshair replacement. It's worth trying on your own, if you get the proper wire, or some straight black hair from a friend!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
bonedade
Beginner

Post by bonedade »

Thanks alot for the info. It's in very good condition and I hope to keep it like that, and pass it to my son.

Thanks again
Brad
shootrj2003
Marksman

Post by shootrj2003 »

I repaired a scpoe like that once[the crosshairs]I used wire from an H.O. scale race car motor which was as fine as I could find and it was still pretty big in the scope.shootrj2003
being of a mind that an armed populace is a free populace.... i'm armed!