336 rc

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Bryan Harber
Beginner

336 rc

Post by Bryan Harber »

I inherited a 336 rc .30-.30 from my father. He told me he bought it new and never fired it. The serial number is AA38447. The rifle was kept in a sleeve and is in very good condition with the exception of a couple of very small scratches (probably caused by me sneaking it out to look at it when I was young). I have 3 questions: 1) what year was it made?, 2) what is a range of value?, and 3) will I devalue it by firing it or should I leave it alone?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Bryan;

To question number 1, your Marlin Model 336 RC (regular carbine) with the "AA" serial number prefix was manufactured in 1965.
We will skip question number 2 for now and go to number 3. You really cannot hurt the value of your rifle by shooting it since it has already been fired. The only way you will hurt the value is if you damage it in some manner while out hunting. (for instance, you use the stock of the gun to hold down a barbed wire fence and it should slip and scratch the metal and wood finish) You could also hurt it by firing excessive loads which could damage the action or blow up the gun. Otherwise, go ahead and shoot your rifle. Just be careful as we all should with our firearms.
Now, question number 2. Value of firearms is dictated by the amount and condition of the remaining original factory finish on the wood and metal. Without knowing these condtions, it really is not possible to give an accurate estimation of value at this time. That said, a range of values for your Marlin Model 336 RC would be from $150.00 to as much as $275.00 and maybe a little more, depending upon the overall condition. Your best advice is to go to some of the internet auction sites and watch a Model 336 RC in comparable condition to see what it sells for.
I hope this helps.
Bryan Harber
Beginner

Post by Bryan Harber »

Thanks for the reply but I have one correction. As far as I know the gun has not been fired since purchace. I didn't know if this made a difference.
webmaster
Site Admin

Post by webmaster »

I moved this as this doesn't pertain to the website.