"RANGER" Model 35

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Hammerdown
Beginner

"RANGER" Model 35

Post by Hammerdown »

Hello:
I have my Fathers first rifle which is a "RANGER" Model 35. When I cross referenced it they said it was made by Marlin between 1935-1937. It had a rear peep sight that the base is there but the elevator and apature are missing. :cry: It has a set of Marble sights buck horn style on the gun now that function fine. :D My question is did the Peep sight come on this single shot rifle or was it added ? and did the Marbles sight come on it or was that added later as well ? Thanks to all that reply, Hammerdown.
" I SHALL WALK THIS PATH BUT ONCE.. THERFORE ANY GOOD THAT I CAN DO I SHALL DO NOW AS I SHALL NOT WALK THIS PATH AGAIN" ..... "JUDGE NOT AS YOUR FINAL DESTINY MAY CONTAIN A MIRRORED REFLECTION OF NEGATIVE PAST JUDGEMENT OF OTHER'S"....
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I hope my memory is good here, but if it is, it's telling me the Sears 35 was a model 65 Marlin. If so, the model 65 came drilled and tapped for a peep sight, but didn't come standard with the sight, unless you ordered the 65E, which had what Marlin referred to as "target sights". The 65E included a globe front sight too.
Is your rifle a single shot, with finger grooves along the forearm, and a knob to remove the action from the stock, under the forearm? If so, it's a 65.
The Marbles sights were not standard, but a very acceptable option. There are lots of old Marlins with Marbles sights on them. as Marlin offered them as a optional sight.
Hope this helps.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

I was stumped on this one as I have a Ranger model 34 that is a model 65. A Ranger 34A is a model 50, but I don't show anything on the model 35. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
Hammerdown
Beginner

Post by Hammerdown »

Hello There:
My BAD.. This is a model-"M-34. It does have a knob under the action to remove the stock and a 12" finger groove in the side of the forearm as well. It has a schnabel style forend towards the front as well. I also feel you all know more about these old guns than me so took these pictures to help me show what I mean and hoopefully have you all be able to tell me what I have here. Best regards, Hammerdown.

" I SHALL WALK THIS PATH BUT ONCE.. THERFORE ANY GOOD THAT I CAN DO I SHALL DO NOW AS I SHALL NOT WALK THIS PATH AGAIN" ..... "JUDGE NOT AS YOUR FINAL DESTINY MAY CONTAIN A MIRRORED REFLECTION OF NEGATIVE PAST JUDGEMENT OF OTHER'S"....
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Aha!! It's a Marlin model 65 in Ranger mode, all right! With aftermarket sights. I'm not sure about the receiver sight as I have not actually seen the original, but this one looks like it might have been made for something else. As Marlinman said, they were all D&T for them at the factory, though - he should be ale to tell you for sure if it's original. The Marble sight was a common aftermarket add-on in this time period.

This is actually a pretty scarce specimen. You are correct that it was only made for 2 years. There weren't many of the model 65 made, and the portion stamped for Sears is but a fraction of that. Actual production figures are not known, but I watch for models like this, and through the years, this is only the second I have actually seen - I bought the other.

This was discontinued in favor of the model 100, which was less expensive to make and therefore more profitable. Value? That's a tough one as they are seldom seen. I gave 50 for mine at Cabelas a couple of years ago. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
Hammerdown
Beginner

Post by Hammerdown »

Hello SW:
Thanks for the reply. I am impressed. This is the second gun that I inherited from My grandfather that was a low production odd ball. The other gun I have is a savage model 220 single shot, shot -gun. It has a rare "TRAP" option that was supposed to be applied to a Stevens but ended up on a Savage as it was the Transition period when they merged. Thanks, for the info. and thi is a good shooter as well.I will not sell it due to sentimental value but these things are a bonus to know when passing it down in my linage as well. Regards, Hammerdown.