Marlin 1897

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Mike Faires
Pro-Marksman

Marlin 1897

Post by Mike Faires »

I just saw pictures of an 1897 that I found confusing. Tang is marked "Model 1897" with a six pointed star on the tang. Stock is pistol gripped. Serial number is A or 4xxxx. The stock has the Marlin Bullseye in the bottom. i know the star means an up graded gun thus the the pistol grip stock but I thought the bullseye was not used until much later than this gun should be. Also the serial number if 47xxx is too early for an 1897 and I didn't think alpha prefixes were used during this period. However, I am still learning.
oodmoff
Marksman

Post by oodmoff »

This could have been a early gun from the marlin corporation that came from parts that marlin rockwell had acquired..
Thanks
Darin
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

The star does NOT mean an upgraded gun. The star was simply a final inspection mark used during the 1920's by the new Marlin Fireams Co. All guns from that period got this star.
As for the configuration, you are right, it is very strange to find guns from this time period with the options listed! I don't believe I've ever seen a 1897 made with a bullseye in the stock? The 1897 and '97 were both discontinued before WWI. Is it possible there was one more digit to the serial number, 4xxxxx? That would make it before WWI date.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Ultona
Marksman

Post by Ultona »

Well, guess what, I have the gun in question in my hands! This is really an odd ball. Looks to be minty bore though. Here is what it is. First off, says 1897 on the tang and does indeed have the factory star with dot in the middle just ahead of the tang screw. If you take the gun apart, the standard 1897 patent date is on the inside of the frame below the bolt as usual, so I am sure this is an 1897 frame all the way, both parts. Now usually, the serial number would be stamped on the side of the top tang underneath the wood as well as on the bottom of the front half of the frame, but on this gun, the serial number only appears on the bottom front of the frame. It is A789X. Frame is tapped for the Hepburn sight, but what is really odd is that the gun has the style of ejector that has two securing screws from the outside of the frame as seen on all 39s. This type of ejector wasn't introduced until 1907, which was two years after Marlin started using "97" on the tangs instead of 1897! So an 1897 should never have the screw in type ejector system, but this one does! This gun also has several other odd features we usually see on 39 Marlins, like the hold down screw on the ejector, bullseye in the buttstock, Rocky Mountain rear sight, Marlin Firearms Corporation markings on barrel, and high speed bolt! The magazine tube release is the latch style found on 97's and early 39's, NOT the button style of later 39's. Now to top all this off, the takedown screw is slotted, but small, and is in fact the same size as the one used on a model 37! However, it is retained in the frame half when the gun is taken down by a threaded collar like on a normal 39 take down screw and appears to never have been out of the gun. Overall, I think this gun is not a "Frankenstien" someone built from parts, but a factory gun that Marlin built from parts! Everything seems original and there is appropriate amounts of "crud" and dried oil around all the screws and where the barrel meets the frame ect. so I don't think anyone fooled with this gun, except for refinishing the wood and tapping the barrel. Unfortunately, the wood was sanded somewhat on the rear, and much more on the foreend during the refinishing, so I am contemplating have the wood replaced after I have the holes in the barrel filled in and the finish restored (not just reblued, my restorer can duplicate the rust blue of old Marlins perfectly). If I have the wood and the barrel done, I might just go all the way and have the frame recasehardened, since it would be the only original thing left. I don't want to destroy the collector value of this gun, but the guy who tapped the barrel and sanded down the wood kinda did that for me, so if professionally done, I am not sure restoration would hurt this rare piece. Anyway, what do you guys think?
Mike Faires
Pro-Marksman

1897 addendum

Post by Mike Faires »

Thanks for the update and further information, as I said I am learning.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks for the info Ultona! This information makes a lot more sense, and like you said, it may not be a owner built "frankenstein", but a factiry built "frankenstein. The fact that it has a Corporation marked barrel, and the star on the tang tends to make me think it was a gun put together from parts found around the factory, after WWI, when the new Marlin Corporation was scrounging to get sporting guns back into the hands of gun buyers. I've seen other 1893, and 1894 Marlins with similar late serial numbers, and Corporation marked barrels, that sported features (seemingly) too late for the features vs. model designation.
Sounds like this might be such a gun, although there's no way to prove it for sure. Either way, it sounds very interesting!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Ultona
Marksman

Post by Ultona »

Yeah, that darn star kinda ties the whole thing together. The only other thought I had on the gun was that it was a worn 1897 DLX that the owner sent in for new wood, new barrel, ect. But I don't think they would stamp the star on a gun that came in for service, AND that darn screw in ejector system really doesn't make sense if this was a true 1897 sent in for rebuilding. So my factory service theory kinda falls flat if you think it out. In the end I think the factory was just scrounging parts and anything laying in the corner was turned into product, no matter how odd it was. Marlin's are generally a lot more interesting than Winchesters. Seems like the dozens of Winchesters I have owned were always "normal"
moodyholler
Beginner

Post by moodyholler »

Ultona, I just bought an 1892 last week that is very similar. Tang is marked 1892, high spped bolt, has the cartridge guide in top of receiver, and a 39A round barrel and mag. Also includes 39A sights. Barrel is unmarked but matches my 1950 39A contour and all. Serial number is 400x on bottom of receivr at forearm. all metal work finish matches so it has been done this way a long time. moodyholler
Hopkins and Allen falling blocks parts and guns wanted.