MARLIN 81

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

HGW

MARLIN 81

Post by HGW »

I have an old model 81, and i was wondering what the two small holes
in the back of the reciever (left side) are for, a scope mount mabey?
detnight
Beginner

Post by detnight »

My 81 has a williams sight mounted
oldwolf
Beginner

Post by oldwolf »

I think it is for a peep sight.
Regards,
OldWolf
dennyzeigler
Beginner

Model 81

Post by dennyzeigler »

I have a question that is bugging me. My grandfather recently died, he was a huge gun and hunting enthusiast, so of course I wanted a gun to remember him by. I got a 22 that was hanging over a doorway, that I believe could have been handed down from my great grandfather (not sure, I know there was one, just don't know if this is the one or not). It has very few markings on it. The only markings are as follows on the barrel down by the end of the stock.

-Marlin Firearms Co--MODEL 81-
-NEW HAVEN,CONN USA--22-S-L-LR-

These two lines of text on the barrel end and start at exactly the same spot, letters are clean like they were stamped but the dashes are not, they are differing lengths, especially at the ends of the text, so they kind of look like someone hammered them in as opposed to a machine process. I can find no serial number or any other markings for that matter, unless they are hidden in the assembly somewhere. I don't want to take it apart unless someone tells me to look for something in it's inards somewhere. I don't care (although am curious) if it is worth anything because I wouldn't part with it because it was Pop pop's gun, but I would like to know it's age or history or whatever I could find out about it.

Thanks all in advance for helping a new guy out.
Shoot it before it moves again!! <just kidding>
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Model 81 production started in 1937. Hope that helps. Many of the 22's had no serial number as they were not required until 1968 I believe. So one less step and less exspense to produce it.
GBOT, GBUSA
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Denny,

The very early 81s had a metal trigger guard. All the later ones had a plastic one. After WWII, the 81 had a much more 'modern' appearance - that is to say, the stock showed a lot more curvature.

Even at that, it's not easy to tell an early 60's 81 from one of the last ones, given roughly equal use. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
Robert Duke
Beginner

Post by Robert Duke »

The two (2) screw holes you refer to are for a "peep" type sight. If your Marlin has these holes you should not have a regular sight mounted as the rifle originally had a metal insert (blank) inserted in the 3/8" dove tail on the top of the receiver. Numrich Gun Parts Corp has a schematic drawing on page 413 showing the sight but it's not available. I have one but it's more for precise target shooting rather than plinking.