Serial numbers

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

kurt bender
Beginner

Serial numbers

Post by kurt bender »

Can you tell how to read a serial number on a 39A to see when it was manufactored.
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

For the post 71 guns, simply subtract the first 2 digits of the serial # from 100 to arrive at YOM. I believe there's a link to the letter prefixes but I don't use it, having them committed to memory. If you have a letter prefix rifle, you can post here for a quick reply. SW
kurt bender
Beginner

Post by kurt bender »

SteveW wrote:For the post 71 guns, simply subtract the first 2 digits of the serial # from 100 to arrive at YOM. I believe there's a link to the letter prefixes but I don't use it, having them committed to memory. If you have a letter prefix rifle, you can post here for a quick reply. SW
My serial number is H-20488. Could you send me the link for the serial numbers. Thank you
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Kurt,

H = 1951. I found a link to the letter/years finally. http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=739 SW
kurt bender
Beginner

Post by kurt bender »

SteveW wrote:Kurt,

H = 1951. I found a link to the letter/years finally. http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=739 SW
Thank you very much Steve. I'm going to try and buy that gun for a couple of hundred dollars. Thanks again for your help
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

200 sounds like a good price for a 39A of that vintage. Ya done good!! :D SW
hawgrider
Beginner

golden 39A

Post by hawgrider »

I have a Golden 39A and the serial numbers are all numbers and no letters. Can anyone give me an idea on what year it might be.
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Subtract the 1st two digits of the serial number from 100 to learn the YOM. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Hawgrinder;

Except for the guns made from 1969 to 1972. On those guns, the first two digits of the serial number are the year of manufacture. Dealers complained that Marlin was dating the inventory, so the system was changed to where the first two digits are subtracted from 100.
I hope this helps.
hawgrider
Beginner

39A age

Post by hawgrider »

Thanks for the info, that makes mine a 1978 model. Any idea what it would be worth, it is in real good condition.