Questions about a Marlin model 455 Bolt Action Rifle ?

Anthing you think is a big bore

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Hammerdown
Beginner

Questions about a Marlin model 455 Bolt Action Rifle ?

Post by Hammerdown »

Hello
I saw a Marlin model 455 Bolt action rifle yesterday. The stock and gun looked barely used. It was chambered in 30-06, had a Lyman Rear sight and a front sight hood, and the bluing looked good. When I looked it up in my gun collectors guide it said it had a "stainless barrel" ? This one was Blued in a soft matte finish. The recoil plate said Bishop and my guide says they were the stock maker for this rifle. Anyone have one? Are they accurate? any comments? Thanks to all that reply. Hammerdown
" I SHALL WALK THIS PATH BUT ONCE.. THERFORE ANY GOOD THAT I CAN DO I SHALL DO NOW AS I SHALL NOT WALK THIS PATH AGAIN" ..... "JUDGE NOT AS YOUR FINAL DESTINY MAY CONTAIN A MIRRORED REFLECTION OF NEGATIVE PAST JUDGEMENT OF OTHER'S"....
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

There were 1079 of these made. Marlin made the stainless barrel, so look for Marlin proofs to be sure it wasn't swapped for another make. Having never actually examined one, I can't comment if the stainless barrel was blued by some means. Given the low production and that it sounds in original configuration, it would be worth having.

The receiver is from Fabrique National of Belgium & is of good quality. I can't imagine why one of these could not be made to shoot well. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
Hammerdown
Beginner

Post by Hammerdown »

Hello SteveW
I did look at the Proof marking's in the barrel and it said Marlin Micro-Groove rifling, with there address so I knew it had to be the correct barrel. I am still in wonder as to why they would put a stainless barrel in a blued reciever?a PINTO Rifle? In looking at the one showed in my reference book it sure looked blued, like the reciever to me? The barrel on this one I saw as I said was a matte blue finish, and now I wonder if the maker of the actions may have blued them this matte finish before marketing them. I have also been told the actions are of Sako manufacture along with the adjustable triggers, but can not be certain?Thanks for the reply, and maybe someone else that has one will jump in here to sort this out before I purchase it. Hammerdown
" I SHALL WALK THIS PATH BUT ONCE.. THERFORE ANY GOOD THAT I CAN DO I SHALL DO NOW AS I SHALL NOT WALK THIS PATH AGAIN" ..... "JUDGE NOT AS YOUR FINAL DESTINY MAY CONTAIN A MIRRORED REFLECTION OF NEGATIVE PAST JUDGEMENT OF OTHER'S"....
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Marlin 322 & 422 rifles can have Sako receivers - not all of them did. The 455 has FN actions with Sako adjustable triggers.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

My 1956-59 Marlin catalogs all show the model 455 with blued stainless steel barrels. It is possible that someone had trouble with bluing wear on the SS barrel, and just polished the finish off, leaving the bare SS metal.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Hammerdown
Beginner

Post by Hammerdown »

marlinman93 wrote:My 1956-59 Marlin catalogs all show the model 455 with blued stainless steel barrels. It is possible that someone had trouble with bluing wear on the SS barrel, and just polished the finish off, leaving the bare SS metal.

Hello Marlinman
This rifle HAS a Blued finished barrel. Does your book say if it was a matte or soft Lustre bluing? I assumed if the Barrel was MADE in stainless they would have sold them that way, but Now I see this rifle's barrel may be original since it is satin blued, the stock has a cheek piece, and is oil finished complete with a butt plate that reads Bishop. :wink: Regards, Hammerdown
JohnK
Sharpshooter

Post by JohnK »

If you're not interested in buying it, or if you are selling it, could you let me know? I have been looking forever to buy one for my collection. Thanks!
Hammerdown
Beginner

Post by Hammerdown »

Hello JohnK
I am going to purchase it for my collection, but if I should decide to sell it will let you know. Regards, Hammerdown
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Hammerdown,
My old catalogs don't mention if the finish was glossy or matte. Also, since the old catalogs didn't use actual photos, but rather color drawings, it is tough to be sure. Wish I could help more.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Hammerdown
Beginner

Post by Hammerdown »

Hello Marlinman 93
I appreciate all the valuable information you have given me on this model 455 Rifle. I am going NUTS as I can Not touch with the owner until Monday, and did NOT tell him I would take it for sure. I sure want it, and if he has NOT sold it, I will be bringing it home. Let's Hope this all works out, and if it does I will Gladly post pictures of this rare rifle for all my responder's to see. :wink: Hammerdown
JohnK
Sharpshooter

Post by JohnK »

Grab it up if you can. They are like hen's teeth to find! I am still regretting selling the one I had. Go figure... :? :wink:
Hammerdown
Beginner

JohnK.. We Have ALL had Seller's Remorse on a Few..

Post by Hammerdown »

Hello JohnK
I have the same regrets about a PAIR Of Ithaca Rifles I had ten Years ago.Back in the Late 60's to Late 70's Ithaca Gun company, sold Rifles made by The Tikka Gun Company of Finland. :cry: These were custom sporter Rifles that Looked Just Like Sako's and I am Told Sako is a Parent company or was back then. The Bluing was a mile deep. The stocks were french Walnut with a rosewood cap and skip line checkering. :roll: I had one in the LSA-55 Model Caliber 22-250 and the other Rifle was a LSA-65 Model in 25-06 Caliber. They were the sweetest most accurate rifles I have ever owned. :( Now many years later, and A LOT Wiser, You can bet I will be on this Guy's doorstep Monday Morning with cash in hand, to Buy This low Production model 455 and I HOPE I am NOT too late as well. :!: One more question was your rifle an accurate one and was the adjustable trigger a match grade? My Ithaca's BOTH had Factory installed adjustable trigger's as well and one could adjust them to a scary no creep mode with a flick of the allan wrench! :wink: I believe we ALL have regrets about guns that have slipped through our hand's and the only one that bothered me more than the two above was a model 1936 Lever action Marlin Rifle in 30-30 Caliber. I had Hounded the owner and friend of a very small sporting good's shop for YEAR'S to Sell it to me. He owned this small sporting good's shop for many years, and was forced to shut the door's to care for his Ill wife. He had this 1936 hanging on the wall behind the service counter, with a large Picture below it of a 1969 Ford Bronco with Two Nice Bucks stretched across the hood, and him standing next to it with this Model 1936 Proudly in hand, from days gone by one day I walked in, to have him pull it down from it's single gun rack where it rested, dust it off quietly, and hand it to me. he told me he was going to close the store to care for his sick wife,and that he KNEW how much I had remarked about that old rifle and allway's wanted it and if I still wanted the model 1936,That today was my last chance to buy it, as another customer was also interested in it. He said he would sell it to me for the same price he paid which was $150.00, many, Many Years ago. Now, this rifle was a conservative 95% Grade, and had the Brilliant case hardened receiver,Optional Marbles Large Buck Horn rear sight, along with ALL the other promotional extras and do Dads that this rifle had it's very first year of production,and I remember the wood that should have been called Presentation grade, as it sure had that wild grain look about it. He explained he bought it from his Dad, who had now passed, and it had not been fired more than 50 Times it's entire life. It came with original shell's and the Original factory packing carton shipping Box from 1936 as well, and was clearly marked on the top of the action "Model 1936". I was proud of that rifle, and it was a real tack driver. I had it 5 years or so, and in a WEAK Moment of Seller's GREED sold it off to buy another gun, which was the WORSE Mistake I have ever made. :oops: I sold it to another dealer fiend and figured I made a small fortune at the selling price of $425.00 back in 1994 and this should tell you the shape of it compared to what I had paid, but knew if I got this from a dealer friend or Not, he either had a person that wanted one bad, or they were a good collectors piece, and I Knew very Little about good collector Pieces back then as well, but I can still remember the serial number, in case I EVER see this rifle again to Erase my STUPID mistake of letting it slip through my finger's which was #770... :cry: Regards, Hammerdown
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Every gun nut can write two books: Guns I Should Have Bought, and Guns I Should Have Kept! Been there - did that! :( SW
JohnK
Sharpshooter

Post by JohnK »

I didnt' get to shoot my 455 much, but it was a tack driver. Marlin put the Sako adjustable trigger in them. I didn't mess with mine since it was adjusted to suit me well. I'm not sure if it was a match grade or not. It's only problem was the wood. It needed to be replaced or refinished. It had a serious blem in the wood, of which I'm not sure what happened for it to get all discolored and ugly.

You know the best collectors usually sell off their pride and joy once in awhile to get something else. Sort of like the grass is greener scenario.

Steve's right on the books. I know mine would have a couple chapters in it by now.

Sort of why I stick with just Marlins. I would have been committed if I would have grabbed up everything that caught my eye. :)
Hammerdown
Beginner

Post by Hammerdown »

I didnt' get to shoot my 455 much, but it was a tack driver
Hello JohnK
I figured with The Action being made in Belgium, an adjustable Sako trigger made In Finland, Custom Sights made by Lyman and the Micro-Groove Barrel made by Marlin, This rifle should be one serious Target grade Production rifle.I cant imagine any better collaberation of High Grade part's to make a Rifle complete. :wink: I also wonder WHY This rifle was so short lived with these high grade parts used. :?: Do you think it was TOO Costly to make and market back then :?: Just another 14 Hour's to go before I KNOW if it will be mine and the deal will be completed.. :?: The GrandFather Clock sure tic's slow when you want something This Bad.. :roll: I also feel confident on the Purchase, and found a period correct Weaver K-10, with Yardage Objective USA Made, at a gun show today to replace the cheap scope that is on it now and looks cloudy from age. :D Hammerdown