mod 39 octigon barrel

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

f.holbyjr
Beginner

mod 39 octigon barrel

Post by f.holbyjr »

have this rifle in cabinet since grandfathers death in'72 mint cond. case harden colors , walnut , very accurate even @ a 100yrds serial # 3308.! contacted marlin acouple yrs ago and told them what i had with the serial #, about 6 months later i got a reply,(forgot i even wrote them) they told me their records dont go back that far because of a fire at the turn of the century ruined about everything. they did send me some copies of advertising frm catalogs long ago for the mod39 they were selln for $13 dollars back then! #3308 goes back to 1890's.!! pretty sure its worth much more now! anyone know how much this rifle might be worth?
nvr enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it ovr again.!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Fholbyjr;

Will not estimate the value for you as condition is the dictating factor, and without actually seeing the condition, it is not possible to determine that.
Your gun, a Model 39 without a serial number prefix would have been made sometime between 1921 and 1925. With a lower number like yours, it should be closer to the 1921 date.
I hope this helps.
f.holbyjr
Beginner

Post by f.holbyjr »

shooters bible indicates sn 3308 was made in th 1890 era rifle has octagon barrel dont think they made them like that in the 20's. did they? the condition is excellent! gun was beautiful when i inherited it in '72 and has been in cabinet ever since, shot acouple as a kid (shootn christmas lites out on neighbors trees...will denie though if you tell) but always put away cleaned
nvr enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it ovr again.!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

If you look up the production years for the model 39 you'll find it wasn't even made until after WWI, and the first 39 was offered in 1922 catalog.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
f.holbyjr
Beginner

really confused now

Post by f.holbyjr »

surfn net here and it really looks like #3308 is from 1922 era BUT the manufacturer themselves told me acouple yrs ago different, said it should be around 1890's there are no prefixes with the sn at all. so i found this website, gotta chk it out, http://oldguns.net/sn_php/marlinlookup.php this website says the rifle i have with the sn 3308 with no prefixes is frm 1883!
Chugwater
Beginner

Post by Chugwater »

How do you know it is a Model 39? Did you find it stamped on the gun, if so where?

You are a hard man to convince. Assuming everything is as you say the only explanation is YOU are calling this a Model 39 and it is NOT.

If you want your gun identified just post a couple of good pictures and one of these Marlin experts will identify it for you real quick.

Just my thoughts, good luck.

Chugwater
Chugwater
f.holbyjr
Beginner

Post by f.holbyjr »

yea its a mod 39, stamped bhind the hammer. i'm listening to you guys and learned alot so far. just that website i posted throws me off. i went there and punched in my serial # then it came up 1883. BUT youall have told me AND i have read that they didnt even call it the model 39 till '22. thats why i said i was really confused. goin to be workn on getn some pix's together asap!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

F.HolbyJr;

The reason for the confusion conderning the serial number is because the old Marlin serial numbers (when owned by the Marlin family) started with serial number 1, in 1881 and continued up to an estimated number somewhere around 450,00 in 1916. The Marlin family sold out of the business in 1916, and the new companies (Marlin Arms, Marlin-Rockwell, The Marlin Firearms Corporation and the new Marlin Firearms Company) started NEW serial number series. The Model 39 started production in 1921 with it's own serial number series, that changed in 1925 with the addition of an "S' prefix. In 1932, the series changed again with the addition of the "HS" prefix.
Take this to the bank, that is what happened to the Marlin serial number series.
I hope this helps.
f.holbyjr
Beginner

Post by f.holbyjr »

thank you bud, appreciate everyones input, just pulled the gun out to wipe it down take some pix, then just have to figure out how to get them onto the computer,then post them. thanks again