Tom Mix

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Boswell
Beginner

Tom Mix

Post by Boswell »

I have a Tom Mix .22 S/S. Are these common in the US? I've been in the gun trade here in Australia sincr 1965 & it's the only one that I have seen.
The sling is missing, other than that it is in pretty good condition.
Are they rated as a collectors piece? Thanks for looking.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

The Tom Mix model of the model 100S is not seen too often. It wasn't a really expensive model, so it hasn't got a lot of collector value, unless you collect Marlin bolt actions, and want a nice one for your collection.
These were bought mostly as kid's guns, so they saw a lot of use!
Hope this helps.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Boswell,

These were made in 1937 only and are quite scarce. They have collector appeal, but I have never actually seen one for sale, so I am unable to comment on pricing. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
JohnK
Sharpshooter

Post by JohnK »

I've only seen one Tom Mix .22 since I've been collecting. The guy wanted $250.00 for it and I have no clue as to if it's worth that or not. They are very rare to see, as SteveW said.
Boswell
Beginner

Post by Boswell »

This is my first time at writing like this..as in a reply.
Thanks to you blokes for answering.
I might put the Tom Mix on the market.
I'm new to this.
Where do I send a photo? and how?

John from Aus.
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

In order to bring a firearm into the U.S. (yes even one made hear) you must apply to the ATF for an import permit, it is sent to the seller along with an FFL and the seller then sends it to Customs to have them inspect it before it is sent on to the FFL. It took me 6 months to get them to process the request and get it back so I could forward it to the seller. It is a very slow process to do.
GBOT, GBUSA
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Sure shot is right, unless it's an antique, and then none of that applies. Pre 1898 guns come in just like nuts and bolts, or pots and pans! No problems, and no delays on them!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
wgb1955
Beginner

Tom Mix 100s s/s rifle

Post by wgb1955 »

Hello Everyone,

I am the owner of a Tom Mix it in fact woas the first firearm I ever owned.
My father purchased in in 1937 when he was 12 years old. He got it at the Grant General Store in Kansas City and actualy traded some hides for the gun. Dad had shot the gun hunting rappits and squirrels and probably put other game on the table.

He passed the rifle to me when I was 12, I carried in for years shooting rabbits and squirrels and just doing general pliinking. It is an escellent firearm. Unfortunatly there is none of the origingal filnish left of the barrell of the stock having been through a house fire on the day before thankgiving in 1969. But it is an excellent shooter and I will pass it on to my son when he is old enough. One thing about this rifle is if you were to tap the barrell it rings like a bell. a lot of the other guns I own don't ring but thunk.
Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Happness