Appraisal Value for a 1893 .32 HPS

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Fastaction99
Beginner

Appraisal Value for a 1893 .32 HPS

Post by Fastaction99 »

I was given this rifle by my father who passed away a few years ago. I am interested in selling the rifle due to my wife's displeasure to having it and our current financial need. Since it has been in out family for generations I just don't want to sell it for less then it is worth. My father would probably roll in his grave if he thought I just gave it away. I am trying to get any advice on how to establish a fair value for it. It seems to be in working condition and had been used for hunting by my dad and his grandfather to feed the family during the depression as I was told many of times. The butt and stock have marks but not too severe.

I am working on getting some pictures together to post but wanted to see if the .32 HPS is any more valuable that others. It has an octagon barrel but I have not measured it. The serial Number is 252182. The rifle has not been restored or refinished.

If anyone can help regarding a fair starting value of the rifle and based on the serial number and caliber let me know if there is value in knowing when the rifle was manufactured. Any advice would be appreciate.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Your gun was made about 1902. The 1893 was made in .38-55, .32-40, .32 HPS, .30-30, and .25-36M. Of all the calibers, the .30-30 and .32 HPS are usually the least sought after, but that doesn't mean they are worth a lot less. Just more interest in the .38-55, .25-36, and .32-40 calibers.
There are a lot of variables in old Marlins, which can make them worth more or less. Most special order options will really add to the value, as will high end condition guns.
I'd be happy to help, if you send me pictures:
marlinguy@juno.com
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

When you have set your value please send me an email with photos and what you want for your rifle.
GBOT, GBUSA