1889 info needed

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Tuco
Beginner

1889 info needed

Post by Tuco »

My cousins son just dropped off what looks to be an 1889 Marlin in 38 w.c.f. caliber. This rifle is a deluxe or special order. It has the pistol grip stock with checkering. The forearms is also checkered. It does not have a full length tube. The barrel is octogan. It does not have a tang sight but it is drilled for one. I do not know if this is standard or if it was drilled for a tang sight later. It has patent dates of oct 11, 1887 & april 2, 1889. Serial #49556.
I guess what I need to know is if you believe this is actually the model of 1889 and what year was it made. He is interested in buying it from a coworker. They do not know exactly what it is so he is asking me for some help. Sorry I do not have a pic but was hoping the Ser. # could answer some questions.
Thanks,
Tuco
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Made in 1891. 38 WCF is a 38-40, great rifle. Had one and sold it regretted that sale more than any other. You can occassionally find ammo at the gun shows. If you reload I found Unique to be a very good powder for plinking. Also the 38-40 is a 40 caliber bullet.
GBOT, GBUSA
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Tuco;

A quick check of the factory records show it is indeed a Marlin Model 1889 shipped in mid-1891. The barrel should measue 24 inches with the half magaizne. The holes in the upper tang are factory drilled and tapped for a tang mounted sight.
There were 854 guns listed in the records with a half magazine. There were 18,641 listed in .38-40 caliber. 39,363 were listed with a 24 inch barrel. 24 inch octagon barrels were standard. Of the nearly 55,000 Model 1889's made, only 2,296 were listed with a pistol grip stock.
The half magazine and pistol grip stock make this a rather rare configuration in a Model 1889 rifle. Try not to let it get away..........
I hope this helps.
Tuco
Beginner

Post by Tuco »

Thanks for the info. Now maybe you can give me a little insight on value. I know it is a tough thing to do with out actually having the rifle in your hands. But lets try. The wood has most of the finish on it. The checkering is worn some (not sharp). The butt stock has a decent gouge in the wrist near the tang that gets into the checkering a little. The metal has no finish left. It is just the worn gun metal color with some pitting which is not heavy. The bore has sharp rifling but also has some pitting. Also not as bad as some rifles I have seen.
I do not know if he wants this gun to pass along and make a profit on it or if he just wants a cool old gun. I will ask him this afternoon. I do know that the owner wants $500 for it. I guess what he really needs to know is will he be getting taken if he pays this for it.
Thanks again,
Tuco
shotley
Pro-Marksman

Post by shotley »

Based on the research provided by Rick Regnier, I would not hesitate at that price!! Good luck
Four-Eyed Buck
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Four-Eyed Buck »

For $500, that's a deal.....Buck 8) :wink:
If Marlin made SA revolvers, I'd be shooting those, too!!!
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Tell him I will give $750 as is.
GBOT, GBUSA