Marlin 12 Gauge Model 55

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

c_sikes_88
Beginner

Marlin 12 Gauge Model 55

Post by c_sikes_88 »

Ok, I need to know this. This gun Marlin 12 gauge model 55. (Bolt action) I dont think takes a choke. Chokes screw in, and it has no place to screw in inside the barrel. I NEED TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFORMATION OR OWNS THIS GUN..........IS IT A FACTORY MADE FULL CHOKE? Please help!!

Thanks guys.
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

The Model 55s left the factory full choked. However, what happened to the gun since it was made cannot be known for certain, so you could measure the muzzle inside diameter with a dial caliper. I just measured one of my Model 55s @ .685". I also measured a model 55 barrel I know to have been shortened & it came up .725" ID.

The screw-in choke concept was not used on the early shotguns. On some Marlins you will find a variable choke attached to the muzzle end. This is sometimes called a 'corn cob" choke. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
c_sikes_88
Beginner

Post by c_sikes_88 »

I havent done a thing to it, so it should still be full choke?
c_sikes_88
Beginner

Post by c_sikes_88 »

Is this gun also nicknamed..."the goose gun"?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

C_Sikes_88;

The "Goose Gun" had a 36 inch barrel. I do not understand why you have screw in chokes with this gun? Is the end of the barrel threaded to take screw in chokes? Marlin made a "Micro-Choke" (similar to a poly choke) which was added to the end of the barrel from 1956 to 1964. These guns had ventilated slots on the barrel, just behind the choke to improve the pattern and reduce recoil.
The "Goose Gun" was made from 1956 to 1996, then as the Model 55GDL with a black synthetic stock from 1997 to 2000.
The standard Model 55 was made from 1950 to 1965.
I hope this helps.