Marlin Bullet Mold

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

MoonGlow
Beginner

Marlin Bullet Mold

Post by MoonGlow »

8) Just bought a Marlin bullet mold and would like some information on what I have.
It's stamped:
Marlin Firearms Co. (In script)
New Haven Conn US
IDEAL TOOLS
On one Handle
38 S & W
On the other Handle
I looked through Brophy's Book but could not find any mention of bullet molds. Any idea of where I can find out more about this article? Sure would like to know more about some of the features on it.
Thanks
:D
Last edited by MoonGlow on Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
MoonGlow
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Moonglow;

Since you have Brophy's book, look at page 18. There is some information about Ideal there and some pictures of loading implements. Marlin/Ideal did make some combination tools, whereas the end of the loading tool had the bullet mold and the reloading implements were in the handles.
I hope this will help.
MoonGlow
Beginner

Bullet Mold

Post by MoonGlow »

Thanks Gunrunner.

Still trying to figure out what some of the do-dads on the inside of the handle do. I've measured the inside of the mold itself = .655". A bit large for a .38 SW. It is similar to the IDEAL No. 3 but one solid piece, similar to a pair of pliers with the bullet mold in front of the pivot.
It can be seen at:

http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29392-235 ... 7210617371

Any idea what the do-dads inside the handles are for? :?

Appreciate your help.
MoonGlow
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Moonglow;

You have a (almost) complete reloading tool for a .38 S & W caliber handgun. The Marlin Double Action Revolver of 1887 was made in that caliber, and a picture of the loading tool that should be used was pictured in the top of the box.
It would appear you are missing the de-capping pin. You would need that to remove the spent primer from the fired cartridge case. The cone shaped area is the bullet seating area. The de-dapping pin would have gone in there to remove the primer first. One of holes is for sizing the fired case. You would re-seat the new primer on the raised area under the bullet seating cone(on the opposite handle.
Hopefully, the bullet measues .355", not .655" as that would mean the bullet mold section has been reamed out and ruin the value of the tool.
I hope this helps.
MoonGlow
Beginner

Bullet Mold

Post by MoonGlow »

I guess I picked up a dud. The mold does measure .655". Someone must have needed something that size but it ruined the tool. Such is life. I'll know better next time. Nah! :lol:
MoonGlow