IMPORTANT QUESTIONs

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Gurn
Beginner

Post by Gurn »

Need a 1895 chambered in 50 Alaskan!
This product would end up on the cover of every gun rag in the country!
Pete44ru
Marksman

Post by Pete44ru »

1) What are your opinions on Marlin Firearms?
A) Generally, High.
2) What are your opinions on H&R Firearms?
A) Generally, High.

3) What do you feel are their key strengths and weaknesses?
A) Marlin: S = Proven product, long history. W = Slow market reaction time. (lamo wood & stainless C.F. models 10 years too late)
H&R: S = Good product, long history, meets it's market target. W = No extra barrels readily available in stores.

4) What about their products do you like or not like?
A) Marlin: Like all leverguns. Dislike "modern" design shotguns & rimfires.
H&R: Like all products, especially the high grade Wesson & Richardson branding. Dislike cast/weaker shotgun receivers. Dislike non-availablity in stores of extra barrels.

5) If you had a chance to run the company, what ideas and plans would you introduce?
A) Marlin: Open a Custom Shop. Offer Anniversary models periodically. Offer both long and short barrel options on all C.F. rifles. Return to slim levergun forends, even as an aftermarket/accessory purchase. Re-introduce takedown C.F. rifles.
H&R: Offer scoped rifle packages. Offer a high grade line like Wesson & Richardson.

In conclusion, please ad any other information you deem relevant.
A) Dance with who brung ya! - i.e., Stay with what got you where you are today.
Spencerphotography
Beginner

Post by Spencerphotography »

Response: Very High
Response: High

Response: A dependable weapon at a good value. Weakness is a lack of options and calibers.

Response: I like that you have gone back to making the original 1893's, I have to admitt that my favorite weapons in my collection are the original 1893's passed down to me from my grandfather. They are still the best shooting and most dependable. I really am not a fan of the new productions with the rimfires.

5) If you had a chance to run the company, what ideas and plans would you introduce?
Response: Open a Custom Shop. Return to slim levergun forends, even as an aftermarket/accessory purchase. Add more caliber selections.
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:57 pm Post subject: IMPORTANT QUESTIONs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am looking for important feedback from all of you gun enthusiasts. I would like to compile information on the direction of Marlin Firearms and H&R Firearms; the kind of information I am seeking is specific:

They are a fine firearm. I primarily collect the older ones. ie: 1881's, 1883's, 1895's, but recently have purchased several of the modern production. I really like the 336SS in 35 Rem, good choice there; and the cowboy/retro types.
Inexspensive rifle that anyone can afford, a good youth starter firearm, not a collectable. (That should be important to you, collectables stay with the owner, non-collectables get passed around and you aren't getting those sales).
Your reputation, don't let it slide. Quality work.
Plastic, it has no place in a quality firearm.
Limited runs in more of the older calibers. A tang safety instead of that **** crossbolt safety, better yet back to the half cock only. A custom shop with deluxe wood and all the items one might want, scope mounts for those who need them, tang sights, ability to change the barrel length to whatever the customer wants including the mag length.
In conclusion, please ad any other information you deem relevant.

Quality control, recently I here a lot more questioning on that topic, you are great in responding to complaints but it would be better not to have so many. Finally smiths who will work on/safety check or repair the old ones. Don't treat us, your customers, as the worst of the worst. If your lawyers can't write a sufficient release, have them call me. If necessary move to a state that will pass laws to protect you to get the business.
GBOT, GBUSA