1895?

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

A serial # in the 315XXX range is from around 1905. The D&T receiver does not do the value any favors, but it would still be desirable as a shooter. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Emer1;

Are you sure that the "drill and tap for the scope" is not the factory drill and tap for the Marlin Hepburn receiver sight that started in August of 1903? Those holes have been mistaken for "extra" holes by quite a few that are not familiar with Marlins. All Marlin's made after August of 1903 were drilled and tapped for the Hepburn sight, so this may be what you are looking at. If there are more than two holes, at the rear and top of the receiver, then it has had the extra holes for the scope added.
I hope this helps.
Sakogun
Beginner

D/T rec.

Post by Sakogun »

I was told by another Marlin expert that the back two holes are for the Hepburn. This gun has those. Unfortunately it appears from pictures that it may have two additional. These appear to be through the scroll "Marlin Saftey".

I should know more Thurs. when I pick them up. Since I am not a Marlin guy I will probably be looking to sell these two to finance other projects.

I will keep you posted and thanks for info.
Sakogun
Beginner

Have pictures now!

Post by Sakogun »

I finally have the 1895 in my hot little hands. I was stunned when I took the packaging off. What a great looking gun. For bing 100 yrs old I was taken back. It does have some problems, but not many to my untrained eye.

Barrel: Better than some pre-64s in my collection. Honestly I look for this gun to be pitted as many had told me. Not a chance. It looks great. Strong lands and virtually not a hint of pitting. All markings are strong and the tube magazine is excellent. There is a screw missing on the one side of the forearm cap. Swivels are not original and will come off. German silver front sight is in good shape and has been worked maybe once to lower it. Missing elevator from buckhorn sight.

Action: Strong case color. A bit of heavy grease from not using, but in fine condition. All working parts are tight and in good shape. The only problem is the DT through the Marlin Safty. Should be easy to see in pictures.

Stock: One scratch up the side, and a swivel post that was pulled out and poorly repaired. Butt plate is original and in great shape. Solid wood.

I don't know how the swivels and the DT reveiver will go on NRA grade, but other than those things it is fantastic.

Don't have access to an HTML so if anyone wants to see pics. email me
Sakogun
Beginner

Post by Sakogun »

Sakogun
Beginner

had her out to the range

Post by Sakogun »

What a great experience :lol: . I have had the gun out to the range several times using buckhorn sight and Lyman peep. With PMC ammo it will print 3 inch groups at 100 and under 6 at 200 yards. I hope that I can improve on this will reloads. Do experience slight hang-fires on occasion.

Need forearm tip tenon screw if anyone has one to sell.