Serial number? Model 24

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

gshutts
Beginner

Serial number? Model 24

Post by gshutts »

I have one model 24 ser # 109301 and another 12 ga with NO model number on it .. ser # 538. Seems to be the same gun but no number that I can find. Any info Appreciated Thanks
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Gshutts;

Many times, Marlin introduced a new model and had them in production and shipped before a roll die could be made to mark the gun with. This may be the case on your shotgun, but the low serial number does not make much sense for a Model 24. Marlin numbered the shotguns like they did the rifles. Started with serial number 1 in 1898 and continued on with the numbers until December of 1915 when the Company sold out.
Look at the patent dates on the barrel and compare them to your marked Model 24. Also compare the takedown mechanism. You low numbered gun could be a Model 1898 if the patent dates and takedown mechanism is different.
I hope this helps.
gshutts
Beginner

Checked Barrel

Post by gshutts »

Take down mech is very similar..difference is the forestock has 2 screws (none on 24) and the guide rail has some etching...but the barrel has same patent dates as 24...up to 1908. Could it be a 1898 with a 24 barrel???
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

The barrel/magazine assemblies would interchange between certain models. I have not actually tried one from a 24 on an 1898. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Gshutts;

The two screws that attach the forearm to the action bar is typical of the guns prior to the Model 24 ( Models 1898, 16, 17, 19 and 21) I checked my Model 24, then my Model 21 and the patent dates on both end with 1904. The Model 24 has the later style forearm while the Model 21 has the early (2 screw) style forearm. So, I went to the "Bible" and checked the page that lists all the patent dates for Marlin shotguns. Then, I saw the disclaimer at the top of the page that said that these patent dates may or may not appear on certain Marlin model shotguns. Talk about confusing........So , maybe you should list all the patent dates you have on your Model 24 and the other shotgun. You mention etching on the guide rails, do you mean that there are some "squiggly" lines on the action bar? It seems like my Model 42 has those....anyway, we can keep working at it if you want.......
Emmett Dunham
Pro-Marksman

Model number

Post by Emmett Dunham »

The 1898 had no model number on the rear tang of the receiver. I have a model twenty six and the model in marked in the tang, I've seen the model 19 and it was marked also and I thought that after 98 they were all marked.

Emmett
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

emmett;

The Model 16 does not have the model marking on the upper tang like the later guns.
I hope this helps.
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

The trap gun also had no model number on the tang and is mechanically very close to the model 24. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Steve;

A little over a year ago, I bid on a "Trap Gun" on an online auction. The gun was stamped on the upper tang "Trap Gun". Unfortunately, I missed the bid and did not get the gun. It was one of those auctions where the online bids had to be in by a certain time and the floor bidding was the next day. So, it is real easy for someone to bid just one more time to beat my online bid. It was a really nice gun too, better than 85% overall condition. Wished I would have........... coulda, woulda, shoulda!!!!!
Jim Susemihl
Beginner

Post by Jim Susemihl »

They also built the "Field Gun" that I belive had no upper tang marking that later became the Model 24 with a pistol grip (according to Brophy). I recently bought a Model 21 with a 30" original barrel with correct early style two screw forend and a 20" later style barrel and they both fit nicely. I am not sure how many barrels will interchange but I think that other than the slide stop most will. I bought a Model 17 that did not have an action rod with it. I bought one from Gun Parts and it works the action but always comes out of the receiver when pushed ahead to close the action. I have not yet figured the reason out.

gshutts, I would think that your Model 24 should have the pinch type magazine release and the late style forend. The gun with no model number should be an early 1898 with no bolt release on the receiver on the right side. It should have the early two screw forend.

I think the magazine release is the key here.

Just for info I checked the patent dates on my guns and they are as follows:
1896 for models 1898 and 16
1904 for models 17, 19, and 21
1908 for model 30
1909 with 2 patents pending for models 42 and 49
Hope this helps.
Emmett Dunham
Pro-Marksman

Slide stop

Post by Emmett Dunham »

The release for the slide on the side of the barrel, that engages the the slide and pulled forward, removes the stop from the receiver. The STOP does just that, stop the movement of the forearm and slide from comming apart from the action. Hope this helps.

Emmett