1897 Marlin Cowboy

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

40-65RL
Beginner

1897 Marlin Cowboy

Post by 40-65RL »

I am new to this board. I have several Marlin's that I use to shoot NRA Cowboy Silhouettes. 1894's and 336's. I would appreciate some expert help. I compete in small bore silhouette with a Model 39A form the mid fifties and it shoots very well. I also have an original 1897 with a 39A rebarrel and it is also a very nice rifle that shoots well. A fellow shooter at nationals this year was shooting what I believe is an 1897 Marlin Cowboy. It had 1897 Cowboy on the 24 inch octagon barrel. A walnut colored stock with a blued, I think, receiver. I asked about the rifle and the gentleman said he bought the rifle several years ago and he did not think Marlin still made the rifle. I have found the Texan, the century limited and original 1897's on gun sale and action web sites but cannot find the Cowboy. Did Marlin make this rifle and if so can anyone tell where I might find one? Thanks.
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

The 1897/97 was available in lengths from 16 inches to 28 inches. Round, half round half octagon, or octagon. They were produced untill 1916 but the records end in 1905. There are catalogs but only estimates on numbers, about 4200 per year. So there are old ones out there it is just a matter of finding them. Gun auctions such as Gunbroker.com or gun shows. Also wouldn't hurt to put a want to buy ad in the want to buy section on this board.
They can be found. I have one with 24" octagon full mag from 1905 that I found at a local gun show. Be advised these are collectable and are not inexspensive. My 2004 Catalog of Firearms shows poor $200 to Exc $1500, with the deluxe version going as high as $2500. I believe I paid $750 for mine and that was about 2 years ago.
GBOT, GBUSA
moodyholler
Beginner

Post by moodyholler »

Marlin made 1897 Cowboys a few years ago. There were a couple on GUNSAMERICA for sale. Check there as they are available from time to time. moodyholler
Hopkins and Allen falling blocks parts and guns wanted.