The "What's it worth" topic!

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

The "What's it worth" topic!

Post by marlinman93 »

I often see posts here from folks who've picked up or ended up with a fine Marlin rifle, and they want to know "What is it worth?"
Often times the only information given is what model it is, and what cartridge the gun fires. That's the equivalent of someone saying I have a 1965 Corvette with a 327 V8, and wanting someone to tell them what it's worth! There are just far too many things that will affect the value of an old gun, and not being able to see the gun makes the task nearly impossible! I've had folks describe an old gun as minty, or excellent, and when I got the chance to inspect it, I found it was either a poor restoration, or an average gun, not excellent. That's not unusual as each of us has a different opinion of the term "excellent", and some folks don't recognize a restored gun either, unless they've been around guns all their life. So here's a short list to maybe help some folks get an idea of what is needed to make an educated guesstimate of their firearm.
1-The model designation (if it is so marked on the top tang)
2-The cartridge stamp off the barrel. Usually found on top near the chamber.
3-The barrel length, and magazine length.
4-A good description of the bore. Does it have any pitting, corrosion, worn rifling, dark condition?
5-This one is most important! Pictures! Lots of them, with closeups of the receiver on both sides. Pictures of the whole gun, and pictures of the stock and forearm. If you can't post pictures, then at least post an email address that someone can contact you to have you send them pictures to look at.

If these things are all done, then and only then can someone make an educated estimate of value. It still wont be as accurate as a hands on inspection, but at least we can be in the same ballpark!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!