Marlin Stock Bullseye on 1930's made guns

BUSSMAN69
Beginner

Marlin Stock Bullseye on 1930's made guns

Post by BUSSMAN69 »

I need some expert opinions on this. I am looking at 2 different Marlin rifles from the 1930's. One is a Model 36 in .30-30 and the other is a Model 1936 in .32 Winchester Special. They both have the 20" barrels and are the Carbine versions of these Models. Neither one of them has the "Bullseye" on the bottom rear of the stock. I have read on this forum that it should be on all Marlin firearms from 1922 manufacture forward. Both of these sellers claim that these rifles are too old to have the Bullseye on the stocks ?? I really question that and am trying to figure out if they have replacement stocks on them or not ? Plus on top of not having the bullseye on the stocks, the Model 36 in .30-30, has a butt plate that has "BISHOP" on it. I am assuming from the old Bishop gun stock company that is out of business now ?? But the stock on it now, appears to fit pretty well and has been on the rifle for quite some time. And the walnut color matches well with the forearm that is on the rifle. So what are the chances that one or both of these rifles has had a replacement stock put on it ? Thanks in advance.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Stock Bullseye on 1930's made guns

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

BUSSMAN69;

Check the graph on page 249 of the Brophy book. There, you will see that he says that there were a Model 1936 and Models 36 made without the trademark bullseye.
As to the Bishop butt plate, either a replacement butt plate or stock, you would need to remove the stock to see if it is numbered to the gun.
Marlin did use Bishop stocks on some guns, but not that early.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
BUSSMAN69
Beginner

Re: Marlin Stock Bullseye on 1930's made guns

Post by BUSSMAN69 »

REGNIER,
Well thank you once again. I just learned even more about collecting Marlins. According to the chart on page 249 of Brophys book, neither one of these rifles will have the "Bullseye" stock marking. So that clears the Model 1936 in .32 Winchester Special. But will need to take the stock off of the Model 36 in .30-30 and check for the serial number. That is the one that has the "Bishop" marked butt plate. I couldn't find any information on the internet about Marlin ever using Bishop brand stocks at all. But good to know that they did on future guns after these from the 30's. Thanks again.
That is something really great about this website and forum. You can ask a question about Marlin collecting or information on specific guns on here. And you will ALWAYS get a response and an answer. I am on several other firearm brand specific websites and forums. And you can ask a legitimate question about a specific firearm of that brand, and usually you will NEVER get an answer back. Some of these other firearm forums are a joke. This is one of, if not the best in my humble opinion.