Weaver scope and Mount

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Mike Faires
Pro-Marksman

Weaver scope and Mount

Post by Mike Faires »

I recently aquired a Weaver G5 scope and an N5 mount. I was wondering if there is a Weaver collectors association or a scope collectors association.
Mike Faires
Pro-Marksman

Post by Mike Faires »

Make that a G4 scope, sorry for any confusion.
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Mike,

Marlinman93 will be here this evening & he is very knowledgeable about old Weavers. On http://www.marlinowners.com Doc Sharptail knows his biz about the old Weavers, too. I really like the steel scopes and have them in fixed power only on my bolt actions. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

As far as I know, there is no collector's group for Weaver scopes, or for that matter any old scopes. There is a lot of interest lately in all the old scopes, and the old steel tube Weavers are sought after items!
Maybe you should consider starting a Weaver scope collector's Assn? Or just a old scope collector's assn? We sure need something, so we can exchange info, and hopefully elevate the scope collecting to something along the lines of gun collecting groups! Sign me up!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Doc Sharptail
Beginner

Post by Doc Sharptail »

A good place to start would be to get Nick Stroebel's Old Rifle Scope book. This book can be ordered direct from Krause publications.

The G-4 is one of my favourite rimfire scopes. Although not as bright as a modern scope, they are adequate for most small bore applications. The magnification is 4 X. I've found most steel tube Weavers to hold an excellent zero.

I had a xerox of the old application codes, and like so much around here, I can't locate it. I'm pretty sure the N-5 mount designation was for flat sided receivers, but could be wrong on this.

Sometimes standard Weaver rings show up in 3/4" dia. at gunshows. I snap these up whenever I come across them, as they mount the scope much lower over the bore than the side mounts do. They fit standard Weaver bases.

Good luck with your G-4. Let us know how you make out shooting with it...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
Doc Sharptail
Beginner

Post by Doc Sharptail »

Found my codes- the N-5 is definitely for a flat sided receiver. Most of then I have seen have been mounted on 1890-1906-62 Winchesters, and similar top ejectors.Don't think I've come across one on a Marlin yet...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail