Stiff bolt action

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

jeanpierresteffen
Beginner

Stiff bolt action

Post by jeanpierresteffen »

I have recently acquired a Marlin 881 manufactured in 1989. The rifle is in outstanding condition. Was slightly dirty but has been cleaned. No dents, scratches, pits or rust of any kind. Appears to have almost no significant use. The problem is that the bolt is extremely stiff. The action is so stiff you cannot run the bolt without lifting it off the rest. Is this normal or can I expect this to work out eventually? By the way, the trigger is very bad. Very stiff and requiring estimated 10 lbs. of pull. Any solutions, advice or comments
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Stiff bolt action

Post by marlinman93 »

Wondering what your cleaning process was, and how far apart you took it? If the gun was oiled well and set aside for decades before you got it, it's very likely the oil turned to varnish and normal cleaning may not get all the varnish out of the action. The breech bolt should be removed from the gun and inspected to ensure there's no traces of varnished up old oil, and then the inside of the receiver given a good cleaning with a good stiff bristle brush, and aggressive cleaner. It may even require acetone to remove old oil if normal cleaners wont get it. If so removing the barreled action from the stock will be necessary also to ensure the wood isn't damaged by hotter chemicals.
Once the whole action and bolt are well cleaned, then application of a good gun oil to the breech bolt body, and any friction parts should free it up and make it smooth. This also applies to parts of the sear, trigger, and bolt that affect felt trigger pull, and will lighten the trigger pull a little bit also. These aren't target rifles, so don't expect a 2 lb. trigger, but with a good slick oil and cleaning the trigger could be half of what it is currently.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
jeanpierresteffen
Beginner

Re: Stiff bolt action

Post by jeanpierresteffen »

I am embarrassed to say that after I did a more thorough cleaning the bolt runs much smoother. I can now operate the bolt with one finger. Thanks for the reply. I have not yet had the opportunity to shoot the rifle. It is in great condition. Looks almost like it came new out of the box.