MARLIN Model 1889?

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Tony12100
Beginner

MARLIN Model 1889?

Post by Tony12100 »

Hello I'm new to this site . Today I inherited a what I believe is a Marlin model 1889. Havein some issues finding any true information on this rifle. This gun belonged my my father that was handed down to him. As a young boy I admired the rifle but it never shot do to a broken trigger spring or the part that would lock the hammer back. The serial number is 41267. It's a 44w. Has a chrome tube magazine . The gun was stored well for the most part maintaining a good finish . Missing a few screws. The stock is not broken yet it has a few good gouges. Forearm has some initials scribed in but has been restained as well as the stock.. I really want to restore this gun to full operation. Not to shoot it persay...well maybe a few times...but to display as a beautiful piece of my family's history. My dad just passed. And I feel he would appreciate it even though he wouldnt let me do it while he was living..lol. my questions are..
1 how rare is this rifle
2 is the chrome tube common
3 who sells parts for these is available.
4 should I just leave the stock and forearm as is.
Going to try to attach pictures.
Thank you for you expertise on this nice old rifle.
Tony
Please tell me how to.attach photos
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: MARLIN Model 1889?

Post by marlinman93 »

Tony12100 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:22 pm Hello I'm new to this site . Today I inherited a what I believe is a Marlin model 1889. Havein some issues finding any true information on this rifle. This gun belonged my my father that was handed down to him. As a young boy I admired the rifle but it never shot do to a broken trigger spring or the part that would lock the hammer back. The serial number is 41267. It's a 44w. Has a chrome tube magazine . The gun was stored well for the most part maintaining a good finish . Missing a few screws. The stock is not broken yet it has a few good gouges. Forearm has some initials scribed in but has been restained as well as the stock.. I really want to restore this gun to full operation. Not to shoot it persay...well maybe a few times...but to display as a beautiful piece of my family's history. My dad just passed. And I feel he would appreciate it even though he wouldnt let me do it while he was living..lol. my questions are..
1 how rare is this rifle
2 is the chrome tube common
3 who sells parts for these is available.
4 should I just leave the stock and forearm as is.
Going to try to attach pictures.
Thank you for you expertise on this nice old rifle.
Tony
Please tell me how to.attach photos
1-They made a little over 50,000 of the Model 1889, so not rare.
2-The chromed mag tube isn't factory, and likely something done later.
3-Parts are tough to find, except for mainsprings and screws. Wisners Gun Parts has the mainspring, and LARC has screws. Larry's info is: marlingunscrews@gmail.com
4-I'd try to leave it all as it is, since it's a family gun and changes or bumps were done by the family.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Tony12100
Beginner

Post by Tony12100 »

It's not chrome..its nickle plated..the magazine, the trigger, and the hammer as well as the forearm frontace. Not sure what's that called.
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

I have seen pictures of this rifle on another site. The rifle appears to be have been a special ordered rifle, it has 1/2 round barrel, pistol grip checked stock. The mag tube appears chromed but was likely done when the rifle was refinished which is obvious in the photos. Half round barrels are a rare option on the model 1889.
As marlinman 93 has said some parts and screws are available.
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Tony12100 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:57 pm It's not chrome..its nickle plated..the magazine, the trigger, and the hammer as well as the forearm frontace. Not sure what's that called.
Nickel still wouldn't have been done on certain parts as described. If it had a nickeled receiver, or receiver and lever, or everything nickeled, then maybe. But parts as described above wouldn't normally be what Marlin would have done.
I'd like to see some pictures still, just to confirm what I believe.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!