Marlin 30-30

Anthing you think is a big bore

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Rawhide44
Beginner

Marlin 30-30

Post by Rawhide44 »

I recently purchased a Marlin 30-30, has a closed bolt with a slide that functions with the lever, has a JM stamped barrel, serial number is located in the tang under the lever action that attaches to the stock, serial number is C1202. I am reaching out to see if research done on the rifle by myself and a friend is accurate, the closest we could find out is that it was manufactured pre WW2 somewhere between 1945 and 1950. I appreciate any further information and possible value of this firearm.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 30-30

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Rawhide44;

More information please. Look at the side of the barrel for markings that will help. OR...look at the upper tang, behind the hammer for a model marking. This could be either a Model '93 made between 1921 and 1935, or a Model 1936 made between 1936 and 1941 or a Model 36 made between 1945 and 1948. The markings will help say which one this is.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Rawhide44
Beginner

Post by Rawhide44 »

I looked in the areas that you mentioned, no information there to distinguish a model number. Do you have any other ideas as to finding a model number, in the top of the breech area where you can mount a scope, it has marlin safety stamped in the metal, thank you for your input.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Rawhjide44;

I know the Model '93 and 1936 were stamped "Marlin Safety" on top of the receiver. Not sure about the Model 36. Is this a straight grip stock or does it have a pistol grip stock? Both the Model '93 and 1936 are stamped with the model designation on the upper tang, behind the hammer. The Model 36 has the model designation stamped on the left side of the barrel, between the receiver and the rear sight.
Is the receiver blued, or case-colored?
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.