Marlin 1893 maybe?

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
Epitts
Beginner

Marlin 1893 maybe?

Post by Epitts »

I picked up a lever action rifle and the only markings are "Marlin Safety " on top of the action. And a s/n of 106213 on the bottom by the hand guard. Chambered in 30/30. Thinking the gun may have been rebarreled as it has no markings at all. Any help would be appreciated!

Eric
Eric Pitts
Terre Haute, In
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 1893 maybe?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Eric;

Unfortunately, the factory record for your rifle is blank. There are other Model 1893's in the area that were shipped in 1894. Now this is prior to smokeless powder came out in 1895, which would have included the .30-30 cartridge. The other guns in the area are either .32-40 or
.38-55 caliber which were black powder calibers and available at the time.
So, either your receiver was not completed at the time of the other guns and then installed with the .30-30 barrel cannot be known for sure.
There another thing to check on your rifle. Is there a screw on the left side of the receiver, down near the trigger plate? This is not a for sure thing as that screw was added sometime after Marlin started making guns for the smokeless powders. Does your barrel have any patent dates?
Early Model 1893's were not marked with the model designation.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Epitts
Beginner

Re: Marlin 1893 maybe?

Post by Epitts »

There is no screw on the left side of the action. I am thinking the barrel may have been replaced as even under a magnification no writings can be seen on the barrel. It does chamber 30-30 rounds just fine. The rifling is in good shape, clear and sharp. Not what I would expect from a blackpowder firearm, action is also good and tite.
Eric Pitts
Terre Haute, In