Pawn shop find, What is it ???

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

BUSSMAN69
Beginner

Pawn shop find, What is it ???

Post by BUSSMAN69 »

So I am out in Denver on vacation. And yesterday was stopping at gun and pawn shops all day. At a pawn shop I found an old external hammered Marlin pump shotgun in beautiful condition. I have a pair of Model 1898’s at home already. They have this one listed as a model 19 on the hang tag. They said it was brought in by an elderly gentleman that is liquidating his collection slowly due to health problems. They said that all of his guns are in great, collectible condition.
The problem that I am finding is that the barrel roll stamp doesn’t match the example that I found online for a Model 19 ?? It says “MARLIN FIRE-ARMS CO. NEW HAVEN CT.U.S.A.” Then on the second line it says “PAT’D NOV. 6, 1894 MAY 12, 1896 & JUNE 2, 1896.” That’s it for the patent dates. The receiver serial number is: 19403 and the barrel serial number is: 20768. Anyone know what model of hammer pump shotgun this is for sure ??
I am heading home tomorrow and may stop and look at it one more time on my way out of town. The bad part is that that someone cut about an inch and a half off of the buttstock and had a recoil pad professionally installed on it. Other than that it is in great shape. Got them down to $400 for it including the sales tax. So not exactly sure what model it is and if it’s a decent deal or not ??
Any input or advice on this will be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Pawn shop find, What is it ???

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

BUSSMAN69;

Those patent dates relate to the Model 1898. You do not state what gauge it is, but assume that it is a 12 gauge gun. With those low serial numbers, it would appear that this is a Model 1898, and since you do not mention any checking on the stocks, it will be an "A" grade gun.
Marlin did offer shotgun butt pads, instead of the standard hard rubber butt plates. The Silver's recoil pad could be ordered and fitted for an additional $6.25.
If it is an original Silver's recoil pad, then the $400.00 price is quite good. If not,then it is up to you if you like it enough to purchase.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Roundsworth
Beginner

Post by Roundsworth »

Is there a push button release on the right rear of the receiver? If not, it would be a Standard Gun. I had three of them over the years. They were made in the second half of 1898, if I remember correctly.
GMC(SW), USN - Retired / 1978 - 2001
USS San Diego
USS Missouri
USS Boxer
NAS Whidbey Island
BUSSMAN69
Beginner

Post by BUSSMAN69 »

Thanks for the replies back to my post. I am back home now. Yes it is in 12 gauge. I took some pictures of it though, and it does have the push button release on the right rear of the receiver. On the right side of the hammer, right beside it. I thought the serial numbers were pretty low to be a Model 19, that was only manufactured for 2 years from 1906 to 1908. And the stock IS NOT checkered. I also thought that the patent dates would be for a model 1898 as well. With the last date being 1896. The examples I found of the Model 19 barrel roll stamp, had 2 more patent dates of 1904 and 1906 on it. With the receiver and barrel serial numbers not matching, is it possible that an 1898 barrel was put on a Model 19 receiver ?? I can't remember if the top receiver tang was roll stamped or not ?? If it is a Model 19, it should be roll stamped for it. I already have 2 Model 1898's and the top receiver tang is blank on both of them. And the recoil pad does have a faint word on the back of it. I couldn't make it out with my naked eye.
I am going to call out there on Tuesday and ask if the top receiver tang is roll stamped or blank ?? And see if they can make out what the word on the recoil pad is ?? Would the recoil pad have the word "Silver" imprinted on it ??
BUSSMAN69
Beginner

Post by BUSSMAN69 »

I have a copy of Brophy's book. Does he talk about or show examples of the "Silver's" recoil pad ?? The length of pull is 12" to the end of the wood stock, not to the end of the recoil pad. And the recoil pad is dark grey in color with a black spacer.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

BUSSMAN69;

The factory installed recoil pads I have seen are a reddish/orangeish color. The Model 1898 was not roll stamped on the upper tang with the model number and neither was the Model 16. All models after that starting with the Model 17 were roll stamped on the upper tang with the model designation.
Barrel serial numbers never match the receiver numbers. The numbers you stated are close enough to each other that it is most likely the original barrel to the gun.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
BUSSMAN69
Beginner

Post by BUSSMAN69 »

Ok, so this is not an original "Silver" recoil pad. I was thinking they would have been red in color. As almost all of the really old recoil pads seem to be that color. Thanks for the information on that, it is appreciated.