Ballard #6 Schoyen rifle

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Ballard #6 Schoyen rifle

Post by marlinman93 »

Just returned from the CGCA show in Greeley, Co. and was fortunate to buy a Ballard #6 Scheutzen rifle with a George C. Schoyen barrel on it! It's a .32-40 chambering, in an extra heavy full octagon, and Schoyen's usual browned barrel finish. In superb shape, and only fault I found is it's missing it's original palm rest, so I'll have to make one to fit the existing hole in the forearm wood. It has an elk scene on one side and buffalo on the other.

Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Road King
Expert

Re: Ballard #6 Schoyen rifle

Post by Road King »

Amazing rifle. Congratulations Val.
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Road King wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:48 pm Amazing rifle. Congratulations Val.
Thanks!
I recently won a 1920's FH Souther target scope at the Andy Zornacky estate auction, so that scope is going on the #6 to complete the package. Put it on the #6 to display at our monthly OAC collector gun show yesterday, and it looks great with the Schoyen Ballard.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Dug through my stash of scheutzen parts, and found an assortment of palm rests that I figured would work once adapted. The Schoyen has a block dovetail cut into the barrel that is missing, and a 3/8" hole through the forearm to allow a shaft to extend below the forearm for the palm rest. I found an oversized palm rest knob that had enough wood, and was semi shaped and fitted with a sleeve for 3/8" rod. So shaped it down to fit my hand better. Then a couple knurled knobs to lock it to the gun, and lock angle. Both the wrong size, but easy to drill out and tap for the same 3/8" rod. I cut and shaped a dovetail block to fit the barrel, and D&T it also for the 3/8" rod.
Bolted it all together, and it has about 1.5" of height adjustment, and can be easily adjusted for whatever angle feels most comfortable.