marlin model 81

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

pswoody
Beginner

marlin model 81

Post by pswoody »

I have a Sears bolt action .22 rifle, model 103.19811, and I understand it is a Marlin model 81. I would like to have a manual or parts list for this gun. Also it has a rather heavy trigger, and I would like to lighten it. Can anyone point me to a manual or parts list? How about information on reworking the trigger?
rcav62
Beginner

Post by rcav62 »

I just wanted to say that I possess a JC Higgins/Sears 103.13 (Marlin M81.) My family acquired it used back in the '50s. I refinished the stock in natural oil back in the '60s. I installed a sling and swivels in the late '80s.

It too has a heavy trigger, about 5+ pounds. But, it also has an amazingly crisp and clean break. I was afraid I would have to give up this very accurate .22 because the JC Higgins/Weaver 4x20 scope on it was nearly useless to me.

I could use it while target shooting with a white paper background, but I could hardly make out any images through that scope while hunting. I finally found someone this past year to drill and tap the top for Weaver bases and 1" rings and mounted a Nikon ProStaff 4X30. It is now awesome. I would not change a thing about that trigger on mine.

Cav
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

http://e-gunparts.com/model.asp?idDept=158 Numrich has a number of schematics online, free. This will take you to the marlin section. Scroll down to the 81's.
GBOT, GBUSA
rcav62
Beginner

Post by rcav62 »

Thanks, SureShot, I've book marked it for future reference. Thanks again.

Cav
pkcollector
Beginner

Marlin triggers

Post by pkcollector »

I have a 1970 Model 980 magnum and my son has a 780 long rifle. We had the triggers done and the expense was well worth it. The Marlin bolt action rifles are very good shooters, and doing a good trigger job will make them awsome. Stan
greg4
Beginner

Post by greg4 »

I have 7 or 8 of the Marlin 80s and 81s. Some old style and new style triggers. You can lighten the pull on the new style by working the sear but really have to be careful. A little goes a long way. Old style triggers are getting hard to come by. Searched for a year to find one for a Marlin 100. The 80s and 81s are some of the most accurate little rifles I've owned. Greg